sr20det in a p5

flat_black said:
Ehh? The 200SX over here didn't even remotely share a chassis with the 240SX/Silvia/180SX at all... The S13 chassis is the Sylvia's, 180's and the 240's... So the 240 was essentially America's Sivlia... The 200SX was just a Sentra with two doors. =)

Yup the 200SX/Sentra is called the Lucino/Primera in Japan.

YES IT WAS MOUNTED TRANSVERSLY IN SOME CARS DAMMIT!!!!!

my friends 91 se-r has it. its fwd. the silvia/180sx had it mounted the other way.

END OF DISCUSION

roywhitep5 said:
YES IT WAS MOUNTED TRANSVERSLY IN SOME CARS DAMMIT!!!!!

my friends 91 se-r has it. its fwd. the silvia/180sx had it mounted the other way.

END OF DISCUSION

No it didn't your lying :p

you can put the SR20DET in anything..my boy has the bluebird in his 91 sentra SE-R. (T25) Hell while we're at it..**** the SR20DET and its oil pressure problems...go RB25DET or go home!

what the hell are you talking about?

the sentra/200sx has NOTHING to do with the Primera

its NOT the same chassis

the Primera has a much more sophisticated and larger chassis and has independant suspension all around

The sentra/200sx is based on the same chassis as the Pulsar/Sunny... which is the "B" chassis

the Primera is the "P" chassis

and as someone has mentioned already, a tranversely mounted SR20DET *does* exist... it comes from the HNU13 Bluebird SSS ATTESA

and let's go fail the M3 test AGAIN by putting a Nissan engine into a MAZDA

EXA4DRIVER said:
Yup the 200SX/Sentra is called the Lucino/Primera in Japan.

Last edited:
The 200sx used 4x6" speakers.
Just thought I'd throw that in (thumb)

Sorry, i just wanted to sound like I had a clue about this one, carry on (thumb)

how much does a brand new BMW M3 cost?

and how much does it cost to buy a P5, buy USED SR20DET, USED tranny, USED ECU, install CUSTOM wiring harness, CUSTOM shifter, CUSTOM engine mounts, welding?

let me know when its cheaper than the M3

1st MP3 in NH said:
M3 test (scratch)

you got it backwards

longitudally is NORTH-SOUTH (like most RWD cars)
transversely is EAST-WEST (like what you see under the hood of your protege)

Dimitrios said:
No. It'd be EXTREMELY difficult to drive the front and rear axle's with a transversely mounted engine (just thing Subuaru's for a simple example).

The BlueBird has it mounted longitudely.

SpicyMchaggis said:
you can put the SR20DET in anything..my boy has the bluebird in his 91 sentra SE-R. (T25) Hell while we're at it..**** the SR20DET and its oil pressure problems...go RB25DET or go home!

Just for the record - the SR20DET doesn't have oil pressure problems, all the oil related failures are due to importers forklifting engines around and setting them on the oilpan, which is of course stupid, and if you ding up the oil pan it starves. All experienced installers either replace the oil pan or bang out the bottom of it like mad, even if it looks flat, cause it can look fine and still not be. Those who bang it out or replace it never have problems.

And I'd like to see someone squeeze a RB into anything as small as a sentra or protege. You'd have better luck welding the front half of a Skyline onto either car and have it work magically without further work than actually trying to shoehorn the RB into those engine bays..

what oil pressure problems are you talking about?

maybe its the dinged up oil pan in the USED engine that came from japan that causes the sump to NOT get any damn oil?

SpicyMchaggis said:

The SR20DET first made it's debut in 1991 to replace the CA18DET in the S-13 chasis.
Improvements over CA:
1998cc
370cc injectors
Aluminum block
Intercooler
Piston Oil Squirters

B13 Chasis as stated above is called the Pulsar/Sunny in Jap. It also contained the SR20DET with a t-25 turbo. The GTIR model came with a t-28 turbo, ITB (Indiv Throttle Bodies), 444cc injectors. The GTIR was AWD.

The 200sx name was never stopped after the s12. It continued in Australia and Europe. To be the name of the S13, S14, and S15 chasis'. Unfortunately, the got de-tuned versions of the SR20DET in the S14 and S15 chasis which only made 200hp, while in Japan made 220hp and 203lb ft. The S15 made 250hp and 227lb ft.

End of story, and hopefully end of discussion.

As stated earlier, any swap can be done with the right amount of money and the right amount of skill.

actually, the GTi-R is an N14... RNN14 to be exact

the N chassis is based on the B chassis but the body styling is dramatically different, thus the reason for a different chassis code

The SR20DET has had problems with oil pressure problems during boost engagement..Talking to several SR20DET owners, they've had said the same. It wasn't so much of a problem, more than it was just severe ineffieciency. RWD 200sx..Not happening. You COULD stuff a RB in a 240..i've seen that done...but realistically, in a protege...not happening.

SpicyMchaggis said:
The SR20DET has had problems with oil pressure problems during boost engagement..Talking to several SR20DET owners, they've had said the same. It wasn't so much of a problem, more than it was just severe ineffieciency. RWD 200sx..Not happening. You COULD stuff a RB in a 240..i've seen that done...but realistically, in a protege...not happening.

Whomever your acquaintances are they don't know what they're talking about - or you don't know what they're talking about. I've never heard anything like what you described in the ... 3 years? I've been on FreshAlloy, and the 240-chat amarok.org list, and the other various 240 lists etc..

I don't claim to be the expert; HOWEVER, I do know I've never heard of anything like that, and I would have recalled seeing that by now. I don't see any signs of you being an expert either.

Dimitrios said:
Bluebird SR20DET was in an AWD config

BlueBird was in both FWD and AWD. I know cause I'm running a BlueBird motor in my Nissan.

Anywho, this idea did cross my mind before. I talked to Brandon from BLT (Barely Legal Transplant) and they said it was highly possible. Of course it was expensive. You'll be A LOT better off buying a 200SX and swapping a GTi-R or Bluebird in like I did.

Last edited:
BioSehnsucht said:

I don't claim to be the expert; HOWEVER, I do know I've never heard of anything like that, and I would have recalled seeing that by now. I don't see any signs of you being an expert either.

I'm with you.

I've been on the sr20 boards for a while, and I've never heard of anyone with this problem.

Back