squeal from engine....

James79s

Hi guys,

I have a 2003 P5, and over the last few months I have noticed a squeal coming from the engine when I first start up the car in the morning, especially (and maybe even only) after it has been raining.

I am fairly sure that there is a belt that I need to replace, but I think there are 2, and I am not sure which one.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Is this something that I could replace on my own?

Thanks in advance for your help.

James

Put some belt dressing (or soap) only on the easiest one to replace. If that eases the symptom, replace that belt. If it doesn't, then you need to replace the other one.

Personally, if they're the same age, and have been under the same operating conditions, I'd replace them both at the same time. It's a real bummer to have to remove the belt you just replaced a month ago, to get to the one you have to replace this month.

Like hoses, they all age and deteriorate at the same rate under the same conditions. One goes, another's going!

G-Papi said:
Put some belt dressing (or soap) only on the easiest one to replace. If that eases the symptom, replace that belt. If it doesn't, then you need to replace the other one.

Personally, if they're the same age, and have been under the same operating conditions, I'd replace them both at the same time. It's a real bummer to have to remove the belt you just replaced a month ago, to get to the one you have to replace this month.

Like hoses, they all age and deteriorate at the same rate under the same conditions. One goes, another's going!

Thanks man.... are they easy to replace? I would rather just do it on my own, but don't want to mess anything up...

Also, you will be able to tell me novice status from this question, but how do I know if I have thet FS or ZM engine? Where do I find that information?

Thanks,

James

Somebody more familiar with the p5 needs to answer that one.

Adjustment/lockdown bolt on alternator for one & same thing on pwr steering pump for the other. Loosen til belt can be removed. Tighten til 1/2 inch or so deflection when pushing down on longest section with your hand and/or til they don't squeak. Overtightening will stress pulley bearings. They will stretch after months of use so retightening down the road will be necessary.

thanx i12. I was just giving generic drivers advice. I don't know all the motors.

I do remember my worst nightmare with a belt was on a 90 Thunderbird Supercoupe. Actually had to remove the bottom radiator hose to change one of the belts on that thing.

G-Papi said:
thanx i12. I was just giving generic drivers advice. I don't know all the motors.

I do remember my worst nightmare with a belt was on a 90 Thunderbird Supercoupe. Actually had to remove the bottom radiator hose to change one of the belts on that thing.

Yeah, check this i had a Porsche 924 and had to remove the radiator and the front off the water pump to change out serpantine. Good thing our mazdas aren't engineered by those sneaky germans!

well...

Thanks for all the help guys... I ended up taking into the garage to see what the damage would be, and it is a good thing I did.... The timing belt also needed to be changed, my water pump was leaking, and the tensioner was shot.

Now I am poor :(

James79s said:
Thanks for all the help guys... I ended up taking into the garage to see what the damage would be, and it is a good thing I did.... The timing belt also needed to be changed, my water pump was leaking, and the tensioner was shot.

But you can get in and go with confidence. Ain't that what it's all about?

James79s said:

Wow...they must have seen you coming from a mile away. The timing belt is not something that someone can inspect and tell you that it "needs to be changed"...and your car seems too new to need it. Did they show you where the water pump leak was coming from? I don't buy it. In any case, hopefully the work they sold you was done properly...

Eric

what's your mileage? usually don;t change the timing belt until like 100K miles....you can;t have that many miles yet? but if your water pump is leaking they probably figure while they there they should do the belt too....?

The timing belt's buried....unfortunately, but it shouldn't take them anymore than 1.5hrs to replace and the belt is usually between 50-85 dollars+labour... but like mentioned earlier you usually don't need to replace it until you near 100k and usually when they replace it they normally do do the water pump being so close an all and vice versa...as for it leaking, it probably wasn't but like I say they usually replace it when they do the belt just for good measure although...oh wait you mentioned squealing...
that could have been your water pump on the verge of going instead of say your fan or timing belt...when the bearing starts to go on the bottom of the water pump it will squeal...unfortunately the water pump is something that when it needs to be replaced it's not something you can put off for any length of time but now at least you know you can travel without and major worries for awhile :)

Last edited:
uiuc240 said:
Wow...they must have seen you coming from a mile away. The timing belt is not something that someone can inspect and tell you that it "needs to be changed"...and your car seems too new to need it. Did they show you where the water pump leak was coming from? I don't buy it. In any case, hopefully the work they sold you was done properly...

Eric

lol....... I have about 76,000 miles on my car, I used to do a lot of driving. I was WAY past the requied maintenance of the timing belt, and yes we could see the leak in accumulating in the drive belts.

Purrfectangel said:
The timing belt's buried....unfortunately, but it shouldn't take them anymore than 1.5hrs to replace and the belt is usually between 50-85 dollars+labour... but like mentioned earlier you usually don't need to replace it until you near 100k and usually when they replace it they normally do do the water pump being so close an all and vice versa...as for it leaking, it probably wasn't but like I say they usually replace it when they do the belt just for good measure although...oh wait you mentioned squealing...
that could have been your water pump on the verge of going instead of say your fan or timing belt...when the bearing starts to go on the bottom of the water pump it will squeal...unfortunately the water pump is something that when it needs to be replaced it's not something you can put off for any length of time but now at least you know you can travel without and major worries for awhile :)

When you chaneg the timing belt, you should do the water pump at the same time. If you don't you jus tend up paying for the labor twice in the end.

I just love how a group of people can just say, with no actual knowledge of the situation "the water pump wasn't leaking".

lol.... I find this quite amusing acually.

James

Protege engines are non-contact so if the water pump breaks, thats all that happens. yeah, its inconvenient b/c your engine will overheat, but you won't introduce your pistons to your valves. so...changing an unbroken water pump is basically a waste of money.

also forgot to mention that if you want to adjust your 2 drive belts, go to the how-to section and read the UDP install directions. it should be obvious what applies to your situation. Pretty easy to do...I actually tightened mine this morning (1.5 hours to adjust both and I'm slow).

James79s said:
When you chaneg the timing belt, you should do the water pump at the same time. If you don't you jus tend up paying for the labor twice in the end.

^^^^I know...that's what I said.

Second, as far as having no knowledge of the situation, I agree, I'm not totally familiar with your trouble, but I was basing what I said on the information you gave...

Third I said chances are it wasn't leaking, only because they usually do not go that early ...but that's not to say that they couldn't and haven't...hey, s*** happens...

Fourth, I said it [probably] wasn't leaking...it sure as hell could have been, I wouldn't know without taking it apart and having a look..

But to make a general comment towards other members of the site like "I just love how a group of people can just say, with no actual knowledge of the situation "the water pump wasn't leaking". is pretty arogant considering you posted your problem on a public forum where almost every reply is an opinion/fact based on other owners exsperiences. If you wanted someone with [actual knowledge of the situation] just ask your mechanic instead of posting your problem on here. We were just trying to help you out...

Last edited:
SNAP

I know how you P'ANGEL feel, 'cause I gave generic drivers advice based on the first post. From the sound of things, it was as if nobody ever bothered to raise the hood before posting the question.

Back