springs with stock vs springs with tokico

oem plus

:
protege 5
Hello all...i'm new to the forum but i've been lurking for about a year. I am going to be lowered soon but I have a problem. I have enough cash to get springs and shocks or springs and wheels. I was wondering how much difference there was in the ride with stock vs tokico's. I know I will get hated on for not doing the spring and shock combo, but I really don't want to replace something that isn't broken if I don't have to. I will be getting espiler or H&R springs and I know a few of you have gone the route of being lowered on stock first. If there is a world of difference then I know the answer, but if there isn't too much of a difference I may get springs and wheels instead.........sorry in advance if this topic has been beat to death. I just wanted the most current opinions. thanks!

Yes it has been beat to death...Yes the shocks will make a nice difference...Tightens up the cornering and ride. If you are going to go throught the process of switching them, the labor is nearly the same for springs alone as it is for both...So spend the extra $300 and do it right the first time...I drove with stockers and Espelirs for about 5-7K and didn't have any gripes, but did cause one to leak oil, and now that they are replace with HPs...I should have done it all in the first place.....

I too ran 1.3 lower on oem struts for 2 years plus before going with tokico illuminas. I never caused one to leak. I know the ride & handling is better now but really have no complaints about the oems.

Espelirs on stock struts?
rice1.jpg
rice2.jpg
rice4.jpg

I have eibach pro-kit springs with stock struts. I still have not had any problems yet.

I have over 120,000 miles on the stock struts and have been lowered since 2003.

Attachments

• 05.17.07 072 (Large).jpg
    05.17.07 072 (Large).jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 261
  • 05.17.07 081 (Medium).jpg
    05.17.07 081 (Medium).jpg
    37 KB · Views: 221
  • 05.17.07 063 (Large).jpg
    05.17.07 063 (Large).jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
JoshP5 said:
Espelirs on stock struts?
rice1.jpg
rice2.jpg
rice4.jpg

Yes....for a few thousand....rode nice, but was begining to wear them out...HPs are much better ride and should last...

EDIT....RICE????? I could have just cut my stock springs...

Hey guys... Forum noobie, long time lurker here! I am also lowered on a set of Espelirs and oem, but was wondering where's the best place + price to buy a set of Tokico HP?

ProtoType5 said:
Yes....for a few thousand....rode nice, but was begining to wear them out...HPs are much better ride and should last...

EDIT....RICE????? I could have just cut my stock springs...

I actually had people asking me if this is what I was going to do when I told them I was going to lower my car. I went on to explain to them how the metal is a coil of a certain density and strength and with that engineers who aren't on crack decide the length of the spring based apon it's compression characteristics and if I was going to shorten the spring it would still compress like it was the full size and thus would produce a very sloppy ride.

Followed by a b**** slap

Back