Sportsmen, voice your opinion: WTB Shotgun

Wagonbacker9

:
2004 'Hoe
I'm looking to pick up a 12 gauge. Mostly for sport clay shooting, I don't plan to hunt, but hey, who knows maybe some day. I'm not looking for anything rediculous, most likely pump action, unless someone convinces me of another type for a reason. I'm thinking something like a remington 870, but would love to hear the opinions on what people more educated in this kinda stuff would recommend, and why.

This will be my first firearm. I have shot a couple of pistols at a range and used my gf's fathers 870 to shoot clays last summer... other than that I'm pretty much a newb. so... have at it! Budget is flexable, but I'd like to keep it reasonable, and don't care to have anything that would be better as a show piece than a useful firearm.

Thanks in advance!

shotguns are shotguns.....

try to pick one up that already has the barrel made for chokes....i think the 870 is.....watch your area for gun shows and before it opens check out all your local gun shops and go check prices and then go down to the gun show and try and haggle with some sellers....you can usually get some damn good deals

check pawn/gun shops too, thats where I got mine for cheap and it was in perfect condition.

The Mossberg 500 is a great gun...pump action, comes in a ton of configurations, and it's not too expensive. I have had it recommended to me by several gun enthusiasts. Check out their website...my favorite is the Persuader/Cruiser package. It has a fixed stock for shooting and a pistol grip for home defense.

I think that the 870 is the perfect shotgun. Remington is known for their smooth, long lasting actions. The 870 is arguably the most popular shotgun on the market, so that has to say something. And for a base model 870 you only need to spend a few hundred bucks. I say do it, especially if you have shot it before and liked it.

yeah the one I shot has been around the block once or twice. the coating near the chamber eject port was worn off by rubbing on the tire of a truck missing a fender well, and ended up falling out of the truck completely.. i guess they had to go back and find it... haha. I had no problems with it, but given I have nothing to compare it to, i figured I'd ask. What options should I be looking for for a sport gun though?

Berretta xtrema 2 for clays, break some records.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FG1nEaC6pVg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FG1nEaC6pVg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

don't get me wrong....berreta makes awesome shottys.....but for the price of that gun i can buy a shotgun, riffle, and a good semi pistol

not interested in spending that kinda money. I know a guy who can outshoot damn near anyone with one of those using his 870... and he can do it shooting one clay off of each shoulder... lol

yeah... I'm gonna go ahead and voice my opinion... BT-99 if your serious about trap shooting... it's a single barre break openl tho, not the best for hunting. It's by far my favorite gun, I've got about 8 grand into the stock...

870 is a great gun. It was my first doubles gun, now my pheasent and quail gun... comes with changeable choke's I believe Modified and Full are the 2 it comes with... you may want to pick up some of the ble locktight though unless you want to be tightening the choke tubes back own every 10 rounds or so.

mossbergs are good guns, but I'll say it and I'll probably get some guff for it, but there pumps feel flemsy to me... and I like the good old wood look better than the plastic, feels better holing it to my shoulder as well...

yeah... I'm gonna go ahead and voice my opinion... BT-99 if your serious about trap shooting... it's a single barre break openl tho, not the best for hunting. It's by far my favorite gun, I've got about 8 grand into the stock...

870 is a great gun. It was my first doubles gun, now my pheasent and quail gun... comes with changeable choke's I believe Modified and Full are the 2 it comes with... you may want to pick up some of the ble locktight though unless you want to be tightening the choke tubes back own every 10 rounds or so.

mossbergs are good guns, but I'll say it and I'll probably get some guff for it, but there pumps feel flemsy to me... and I like the good old wood look better than the plastic, feels better holing it to my shoulder as well...

no use for a single barrel break... need 2 rounds at a time and I'm definitely NOT serious. lol I think the 870 is all I need. Prb gonna go for a synthetic, all black.. but we'll see what I actually find.

heres what happens when you get serious lol this is the stock of my BT-99, the top of it is an adjustable comb moves in every direction, give you a better cheek position and your sight down the barrel is always the same... even though I never look down my barel... the end of it is whats called a R.A.. System I forgot what it stands for but it kills almost all recoil felt and is also adjustable to make the gun fit better...

Attachments

• P1010029.JPG
    P1010029.JPG
    287.2 KB · Views: 88
no use for a single barrel break... need 2 rounds at a time and I'm definitely NOT serious. lol I think the 870 is all I need. Prb gonna go for a synthetic, all black.. but we'll see what I actually find.

well if you want an over under... Browning Citori, it is a beutiful gun
013356l.jpg

Back