Sport model speaker upgrades

AutoEuphoria

:
'08 CPW Mazdaspeed 3
One of the reasons I went with the sport was that I didn't want the BOSE sound system (or the leather, or the auto-wipers, etc.)...I've had BOSE car audio things before and I remember them not sounding as great as they are hyped to be, and I also remember that upgrading anything was generally impossible (or at least a headache). That was with my old RX7, so I'm not sure if things have changed or not, but still...I went with the Sport.

My question is this: can you upgrade the stock speakers in the Sport model without worrying about compatibility issues or any other issues? Meaning...can you just take out the stock speakers and wire in aftermarket speakers, and have everything be perfectly fine?

Yup. Fronts are components, rears are coaxials, no sub. 5x7 or 6x8 will fit. If you get aftermarket components for the fronts, I just wired in the aftermarket crossover to the woofer location/wiring, and then ran the tweeter and woofer off of that. I believe they use some sort of in-line filter for the OEM tweeter, but not really sure if the signal was just split somewhere into a series configuration in the door or what since it is covered with foam insulation. Can anyone else state this more accurately or confirm what I said, as I am not a profesional installer? I just capped the stock wires going to the OEM tweeter. Actualy very easy install relatively. The HU is more difficult if you want to keep the display, but there are threads on that.

Did your replacement speakers sound better with the stock headunit than the atrocious OEMs?

Did your replacement speakers sound better with the stock headunit than the atrocious OEMs?

I'm sure they would have, but I replaced everything at once; speakers, HU, amps, sub. Stock systems are always very muffled/bass boosted and they actually trim the output from the HU to not overdrive the stock speakers with too low of frequencies.

This trim will not change with aftermarket speakers; you need a JL Audio CleanSweep or equivalent to flatten the response. Also something to be aware of is that aftermarket speakers tend to require more power to sound good, so while the sound will probably be cleaner, it may not be louder by comparison. The stock speakers are extremely light weight foam surround/paper cone which results in good efficiency, not so good SQ or reliability/durability.

what size is the tweater?

Not sure, but typically they will be smaller than any aftermarket. If you are good at custom fab, you may be able to flush mount them, but I had to surface mount mine as the bracing/clips of the sail panel were in the way to flush mount.

Last edited:
Do you mind posting pictures of what your new headunit looks like in the car? I'm really fond of the factory layout and would hate to lose too much of the look.

Do you mind posting pictures of what your new headunit looks like in the car? I'm really fond of the factory layout and would hate to lose too much of the look.

if you get the bose HU, its pre-amp outputs.

the only dashkit for the MS3 is kinda crap looking and so if you are looking for a clean look, it probably won't work too well.

Ugh. I guess I'll just stick to the stock sport model speakers for now. I'm loving the sound of the engine anyway!

Sure, here is that thread, but be warned, you will probably not like them if you like the stock look. For me, audio outweighs the looks, so I do not care. The contrast in real life is not as severe as the camera makes it look, but you can at least see the kit and some possible options.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123684643

double din HU
3066081_15_full.jpg

yes,

btw if you are willing to invest some time, you can do a custom paint on the dash kit.

thats the only way i would put an aftermarket in my car.

That is the Pioneer Avic D3, its being phased out so I was able to get it on clearance for $600. Install is very easy. The antenna was mounted right above the radio area and under the center vent trimming. The climate control display still works but the the clock is gone and of course, all the factory radio info. This kit from metra, http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=112200&i=120957504&tp=3121 has all the hardware you need to mount the radio and mount the lcd screen.

(boom08)

You, sir, are awesome. What headunit is that? How difficult was the install? Does the climate control still display temperature and work? Did you have to hack anything up to keep the readout at the top? Thanks!

that unit looks very nice! I wish you could add pre-outs to the stock deck. I would think it would work with a line out converter correct? and then adjust the amp/bass for the sub off the amp itself

that unit looks very nice! I wish you could add pre-outs to the stock deck. I would think it would work with a line out converter correct? and then adjust the amp/bass for the sub off the amp itself

There are a few ppl that used L/O converters and digital signal processors (like RF 3sixty)to clean up that signal.

I am satisfied with the 6x8 Infinity Kappas I've installed using the stock HeadUnit.

I'd like to add some more bass. I don't want to be ballin' out of control knocking my neighbor's windows out and stuff, I just want a little bit more low frequencies.

I'm considering a bazooka tube (peep)

Has anyone installed a bazooka tube in an MS3? Are there any writeups or guides available?

I am satisfied with the 6x8 Infinity Kappas I've installed using the stock HeadUnit.

I'd like to add some more bass. I don't want to be ballin' out of control knocking my neighbor's windows out and stuff, I just want a little bit more low frequencies.

I'm considering a bazooka tube (peep)

Has anyone installed a bazooka tube in an MS3? Are there any writeups or guides available?

thats what I am talking about! I am seriously considering a powered bazooka tube, its small and will probably fit nicely on the side of the trunk. I was wondering too if anyone has installed one or if they know is it has to be wired to the battery as well. Ive never done one of those tubes before. I'm just trying to eliminate going behind the stock headunit and having to wire up line output connectors and then a power cable to the battery

Latest posts

Back