Sport AT tranny

BLUEMICA

Has anyone had problems with this transmission? Our new P5 has developed a strange whining nooise, and idles rough and starts hard.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or knows of any problems with it.

Thanks!

I personally have no complain to the Sport AT tranny...

find it pretty responsive, especially at high rpm.

It's much better than some other steptronic tranny, I drove a
Peugeot 307 before, its steptronic is much slower

No Problems

No problems here. As for mileage - close to 7,500k.

However I due remember someone posting about his broter-in-law's Protege5 Sport AT Tranny problems. Due to the fact that he never used regular auto.

Last edited:
There is a TSB...

for the hard starting and rough idle and stumbling and stalling. I don't have the number handy, but one of the probable causes is oxygenated gasoline. We have an '03 P5 with the SportAuto and it occaisionally hesitates or stumbles at about 2,500 rpm or so under load. I have discovered that my wife (who drives it) has been putting Sunoco 87 octane in it since it was new. Turns out that this gas is oxygenated (says so on the pump) and contains ethanol also. I've been putting Citgo in it and the hesitation has disappeared. The TSB instructs the service tech to check the ECU codes, but if nothing shows they are to advise the customer change brands of gas to one that is fresh and not oxygenated. As for the whining, I'd head on into the dealer's service department for a checkup. Jim

Re: No Problems

SnowSerpent said:
No problems here. As for mileage - close to 7,500k.

However I due remember someone posting about his broter-in-law's Protege5 Sport AT Tranny problems. Due to the fact that he never used regular auto.

Robb

yeah, that was me. his tranny went out at 11,000 miles. he still uses it for acceleration, but switches to auto when he gets around 30-40 mph.

its nice to have, but be careful.

i, too, only use the sport auto for acceleration, when i get to the desired speed i flip it back into regular mode...also, if my tranny ever gets messed up, ill have them put a 5 speed in it, im sure itll be cheaper ;)

So far I haven't had problems with mines, but I'm only at 5200 miles. Half the time I drive, I accelerate hard, and let it downshift by itself. Say is it normal when you are going 50-60mph and need to stop quickly but use the manual down shifts going from 4 to 2 then to 1 but from 4 to 2 I only shift once, meaning I never see 3 at all:confused: I'm pretty sure I'm just missing the right times to downshift, can that be bad on the tranny. Other then slowing down quickly to a stop, everything else is good. Anyways I prefer to let the car shift itself down when I'm going faster then 50mph, anything less I do it myself.

13,000 miles and my sport auto is holding up strong, no problems even with the crappy california gas. I only tend to use the sport auto mode when driving in the hills/mountains and when control over shifting during spirited driving and acceleration for getting on the freeway etc... which isn't all that often. Most of the time it's in regular auto mode. Although I'll have a choice to make when it goes, never thought a car could be this much fun to drive and had it to do over again would have gotten the 5 speed even though it would be a pain in the ass for commuting.

Back