Spooled Up Racing Header Issue

azuelke

:
2003 Protege5 | Black>Yellow
So I finally got around to installing my SUR header I snagged a few months back. All old crap came of no problem. Header fits great, but only one problem.

The angle of the water bypass pipe connector on the header doesn't exactly line up so well with the pipe itself. The nut can be started ever-so slightly, then starts to thread cock-eyed.

Question is, how important is it that I connect this correctly or is there some work around... and bending this damn pipe isn't happening.

(attn) HELP! (attn)

your talking about the EGR im assuming
if it isnt on there that tight u might have an exhaust leak and some messed up air fuel ratios but besides that its not a big deal

Umm think you could post some pics of the header installed...I've been really wanting to see what these look like.

Your gonna have to loosen the nut at the throttle body side of the EGR pipe. This will probably/hopefully/prayfully give you enough room to adjust to make it start on the threads properly.

Good luck. Getting to the throttle body EGR nut is a BIOTCH...Your best bet is to take off all the intake stuff to get easier access.

So I finally got around to installing my SUR header I snagged a few months back. All old crap came of no problem. Header fits great, but only one problem.

The angle of the water bypass pipe connector on the header doesn't exactly line up so well with the pipe itself. The nut can be started ever-so slightly, then starts to thread cock-eyed.

Question is, how important is it that I connect this correctly or is there some work around... and bending this damn pipe isn't happening.

(attn) HELP! (attn)

With my Tsudo header I had a similar issue, and I used a bottle torch to heat it up and an iron bar to bend it so that it met up. It took a little doing, but I made it work.

The service manual pdf thingy I download called the pipe the "water bypass pipe". If worst comes to worst, JB Weld is everybodys friend (freak)

Pic attached...

Attachments

• IMAG0036.jpg
    IMAG0036.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 218
no its the egr pipe.

i had 0 issues when i installed my obx header. what you want to do is attach the egr FIRST, than bolt the header to the head.

I have a Spooled^ header too. Everything bolted up nicely but aligning the EGR tube was tough. I ended up loosening all the bolts from the header to the head, then aligning the EGR tube and nut and started the threads on the EGR nut. But don't tighten it all the way yet. Then I tightened the 12mm header bolts to the head and tightened the EGR nut last. It worked for me and I took my header off/on 3 times while searching for an exhaust leak on the header. I ended up using an exhaust manifold gasket from Autozone and some RTV silicone on the gasket AND EGR nut. That may not be the best fix but it cetainly sealed everything well.

There wasn't really enough play in the 12mm bolts to get the nut lined up enough to get it started. I think I might have a temp fix, but if doesn't last, I'll be attempting again next weekend... stupid Easter family crap this weekend (bang)

^ That looks like a good, cheap, and easy solution if all else fails.

After running around all night though, my temp fix seems to hold fine, but I have a leak at the very bottom, where the header meets the rest of the exhaust system. Guess my little doughnut gasket doesn't work as well and the massive cone shaped one that came on the car :(

Back