Spool kit=Runing too rich!

1garnetredlx said:
I should have also specified. It happens when I'm not moving also. If I rev the car up to about 3500 rpm's and let off it drops down to a few hundred rpm's and then revs up, down(sometimes dies) a few times then gets a regular idle. I'm really starting to think that it's how I have my MAF too close to the turbo.

My Probe GT did that when my Air Meter was bad... :-/

If it happens w/ no load on the engine, I'd vote Air Meter issues.

:-/

If you BOV is leaking, it could cause your problems (vacuum leak). Which is kind of what it sounds like.

In order to recirculate, you need to modify your piping to the turbo and take the "outlet" of the BOV and pipe that into the piping between the turbo and the MAF (aiming it towards the turbo). That will help as well, or you learn to live with it. I do not reciculate (for love of the sound as well, but I cannot boost and throw in the clutch, because the car will stall if I don't shift or take it out of boost first. However that is easy, break the habit of boosting and putting the car in neutral.)

The temp sensor can be placed wherever you want. It is easy to make a case for putting it in different spots, so whichever you feel is best, go for it (someone will always say there is a better spot). :D

Hope you get your problems fixed and you get to start having fun. The stalling stuff sucks, been there done that.

Venting into the atmosphere releases unmetered air and makes it easier for the car to stall. However this only occurs on our kits when you are boosting then vent via the BOV then throw it in neutral or depress the clutch immediatly. However it will not occur with the spool kit during normal driving. For example if you vent then decelerate then put in nuetral there will be no idle issues. #2 If you rev at idle and the engine dies its not the BOV venting into the atmosphere thats causing the problems. Its actually either a rich fuel condition or 99% of the time a vacum leak. You should be reading 22 mercury if you are getting a reading of any less you probably have a pin hole leak and this will cause stalling. Either that or the BOV has to be tightened down because it is leaking at idle.

I used a longer hose to get the MAF further away from the turbo. I also replaced the wastegate-to-turbo hose because the other one was loose. I am running around 21/22 mercury. I didn't get a chance to drive it much yet but from what I can tell it's 100% better! I've got a few minor issues (exhaust leak,tune bov,etc) but other than that I runs like a champ. Once I get everything put back together I'll take some pics tonight hopefully. Thanks again all of you guys for the help! (thumb)

1garnetredlx said:
I used a longer hose to get the MAF further away from the turbo. I also replaced the wastegate-to-turbo hose because the other one was loose. I am running around 21/22 mercury. I didn't get a chance to drive it much yet but from what I can tell it's 100% better! I've got a few minor issues (exhaust leak,tune bov,etc) but other than that I runs like a champ. Once I get everything put back together I'll take some pics tonight hopefully. Thanks again all of you guys for the help! (thumb)

Do you think it was solved by moving the MAF. I have had this problem also, anytime i rev the engine and release for Idle, it dies, or goes up and down with black smoke pouring out the exhaust. I am going to move my MAF tommorow if this is the case.

hmmm....damn its 2am but i think i will go outside and see if moving maf farther will help out...i have this same problem.....

I install the 2nd. O2 sensor and the check engine light went out and the car is running a little better but still wants to stall when engaging the clutch or reving it up and letting it idle down .I hear a hissing noise coming from the BOV but don't know how to tighten the BOV :confused:

Yeah, I installed the second O2 and it do a damn thing to help either. I am going to move my MAF out further also today.

Moved the MAF further away and it's running awesome. You may also have to adjust your bov. It must be turned in quite a ways. Now my only problem is that my car wants to push 10psi with the green 3.5psi spring!

Sweet! How far from the turbo is the MAF (inches)? Hopefully this will fix my problem also. I've always had my BOV tightened down thinking it was a vaccum leak.

1garnet, can you tell me how your O2 modifier is wired, I followed FM's instructions on their website, but it is oppisite of what Spools instructions say. How do you have yours wired. (blue and yellow wires)

Last edited:
I'm guessing about 8 to 10 inches. What I did temporarily is used the original throttle body hose until I have someone bend up a pipe. It worked great but looks cheesey.

Yellow goes to the ecu and the blue one goes to the o2sensor.
You don't do anything with the purple one. Gotta go but good luck with it and if you've got anymore questions I'll try to help you out.

My MFU is about 8-10" away and I still have that problem so I'm going to try to adjust my BOV when I get home and then I'll post how I made out.

GOTZOOM? said:
I just moved my MAF, and it worked. No more stalling issues.(drive)

Just wondering what kind of turbo are you running, and what size is your steel braided inlet oil line? Did spool make your Down pipe?

yeah i also moved it and it runs stronger and bov sounds way louder, it improved but still does same thing.....i guess i need to put quarter in bov...

Back