Spool kit=Runing too rich!

My Spool kit with my Greddy intercooler are up and running.
I've got a couple of problems.
1-Runs very rich!
2-After letting off the throttle, the car wants to die(and sometimes does) revs up and down, then after a while holds a normal idle. It also sometimes backfires which I believe is from the rich condition.
I've tried adjusting my Greddy type s bov.I'm running around 21 for vacuum. I checked my EGR pipe block off. I'm running out of ideas. I picked Terry's brain today and tried everything he suggested. I originally had the FMU vacuum hose wrong but that is now fixed. Other than that, It's the shiznit. I'll post some pics once I get it running right.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

:confused: I to I'm having the same problems, I just start up my mp5 and it started to back fire once you rev it up and its running to rich .
Hey Garnetredlx if you find the problem give me a pm.

Venting the BOV to atmosphere can cause that - you are measuring air, and providing fuel for air the motor doesn't see :(

I'm going to hook it up to our Mazda wds computer and see if it tells me anything. I know that the numbers are going to be way off but it may tell me something.

Last edited:
your back fire is probobly your exhaust... remember you need 3 in with full flow on a turbo. mine back fires alot because im still on stock exhaust... 3 in straight pipe is goin on this week to fix that. the idle, you might need to adjust your TB with a screw its coverd by a rubber cap. rich is good... with boost and stock everything else your not to rich. changing those 2 things will be night and day.

peace- trav

Thanks for the info. I thought about adjusting the screw. I've just never heard of anyone actually doing it.Did you adjust yours with your Hiboost kit? I'll try that also. According to Terry my JIC should be large enough. I also have a straight 2.5 pipe off of the downpipe. I do have a bit of an exhaust leak which may cause it.

Well one of my problems was the placement of the MAF sensor. If it is to close to the turbo then your car will not be able to catch itself at the propper idle when you come out of boost. That and adjusting your TB. Ooh and Deckedout what kind of fuel CPU are you running for fuel? (Haltech) Let us know how that 3" exhaust works. Because I am still getting alot of backfire from my 2.5" turbo back exhaust.

TB means throttle body, the stall could be your BOV venting and maybe your MAF but usually BOV is the main cause. I use the F10 haltech but switching it out with the e6k or whatever the new one is i cant remember, i was goin to have my exhuast Y out and go out the side like mustangs after the front wheels but mazda just HAD TO PUT THE FUEL LINES ON THE DS. damnit. oh well so 3 in straight, no res, no muffler no cat, pipe will go out the back. i will keep you all posted.

peace

I'm willing to bet its your BOV. You should be using a recirculating type, not one that vents to atmosphere. As Darin said, you are adding fuel for air that no longer exists. And after reading your explanation about how it seems to happen when letting off the throttle, it all makes sense. Once you let off the throttle, the butterfly is closing and the air isn't going anywhere but back the way it came. Instead of recirculating, your BOV is letting the air out. Your ECU doesn't know that the air is now gone. You should get a recirculating valve.

Chris

HENRYMP5 said:
But what causes it to want to stall once you rev it up.
On deceleration it seems to be choking on either fuel or air. The computer tries to compensate so the idle goes up and down, then straightens itself out.

I borrowed a Vortec bov from someone(don't know if it's a recirculating one yet). I'll see if that makes a difference. My maf is pretty close to my turbo also. I'll also change that. Thanks everyone for the advice! I'll try all of tips you guys gave me and let you know how it goes.

1garnetredlx said:
One more thing. What did you turbo guys do with your intake air temp sensor? I have mine in my Injen cai pipe.

my intake temp is about a foot away from the TB on the intake pipe after the MAF.

1garnetredlx said:
One more thing. What did you turbo guys do with your intake air temp sensor? I have mine in my Injen cai pipe.

I left mine in my MHP intake before the turbo. Also if you BOV leaks that could be a problem too. I changed mine from the RFL to the Greddy type S bov. But I did that and moved my MAF sensor about 8 to 10" away from the turbo, and no more problems.

Also, deckedout, about the e6k who is selling that and how good will it work on our cars.

1garnetredlx said:
On deceleration it seems to be choking on either fuel or air. The computer tries to compensate so the idle goes up and down, then straightens itself out.

Try this...

Try decelerating WITHOUT coming out of boost...drive along, NOT boosting...put in the clutch and stop. Does it bog/choke? If it does this ONLY when coming to a stop after boosting, I'd bet dollars to donuts it's the BOV placement. The SAME conditions existed when I had the turbo on my miata, with a non-recirc. BOV. I put up w/ it however, because I loved the BOV sound! :D

mikesmazda155 said:
I left mine in my MHP intake before the turbo. Also if you BOV leaks that could be a problem too. I changed mine from the RFL to the Greddy type S bov. But I did that and moved my MAF sensor about 8 to 10" away from the turbo, and no more problems.

Also, deckedout, about the e6k who is selling that and how good will it work on our cars.
I have the Greddy type s also.

Darin said:
Try this...

Try decelerating WITHOUT coming out of boost...drive along, NOT boosting...put in the clutch and stop. Does it bog/choke? If it does this ONLY when coming to a stop after boosting, I'd bet dollars to donuts it's the BOV placement. The SAME conditions existed when I had the turbo on my miata, with a non-recirc. BOV. I put up w/ it however, because I loved the BOV sound! :D

I should have also specified. It happens when I'm not moving also. If I rev the car up to about 3500 rpm's and let off it drops down to a few hundred rpm's and then revs up, down(sometimes dies) a few times then gets a regular idle. I'm really starting to think that it's how I have my MAF too close to the turbo.

Back