split second afr help!!

larson3ea00

:
2003.5 mazda speed protege #516
Hi everyone! I'm in need of desperate help. I was tuning my mazdaspeed protege via split second afr calibrator yesterday. I keep running into the same problems. Problem #1: when I start my car when it is cold it runs extremely lean.. as in 18:1 +. Once it is running for a few mins it goes up to my desired range between 14.3:1 and 15.0:1. Problem #2: I tried adjusting the "over pressure" to 1.1 as other msp owners have done. When I do that, the car will run WAY to rich. As in 8:1. What is my problem? Right now my over pressure setting is at 9.75 which is how the settings were when I puchased the car. As I'm typing I noticed under system settings the display mode was set at vacuum/pressure. Would that be affecting the system? I believe it should be gauge pressure if I am correct. Please help! I'm sick of this headach. Thanks for looking!

Edit: all of the afr readings were at idle.

what map are you running? what mods? id try running the superstock map and try adjusting and tuning from there as a start point.

I am running a tuned super stock map at the time. I just got it tuned to where it runs great at normal running temp. Its just the cold start that I'm having issues with. For mods I have fmic with 2.5" hard pipes, 3" downpipe, gutted cat, 3" vibrant cat back exhaust, and greddy profec b spec 2 ebc. The maf is about 13" from throttle body and a forged hks bov about 15" away from maf. I have a feeling my issue is coming from the r4 system settings or output settings. Thanks for the quick reply protege3690!

I didn't know ther was.. haha what is the name of the one I could post the video on? I could only find one with a ton of pictures..

look for :
protg chill spot
the msp owners lounge
mazda protg support group
mazda protg parts (mpp)
protg parts for sale

you might have to request to get added to the groups

I hope i added the url to the photos correctly... but here are my settings.. sorry for the crappy quality.. camera doesnt like screens.
20131206_181447.jpg

20131206_181442.jpg

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae72/larson3ea0/20131206_181434.jpg

The settings are incorrect, the over pressure needs to be close to 0, you can set it to -1, 0, 1. The over pressure is when the AFC starts working so your AFC does not kick in until you are at 9.75psi of boost. The AFC may delay up to 1psi as well so it is best to set the over pressure to -1 or 0.
The display mode needs to be set to vacuum/pressure. Engine settings need to be set to 4 cylinder, 4 stroke. And i'm not sure about the output b but mine is set to Over pressure.

Well I have tried setting the over pressure to 1.1 so it would kick in just above 1 psi but for some reason when I do that my car at idle and out of boost runs around 10.0:1 afr... i don't understand it because I didn't adjust anything out of boost.

Load the super stock map and reset all the settings to default. The AFC does not control the car at idle only in boost. Did you solder the connections?

I didn't install the unit as it was installed when I purchased the car but I made sure everything was soldered to the correct wires. Only found one butt connector but that was for the wideband. I will try to reload the map again tomorrow with the default settings. What would happen if I loaded a map with no alterations so the car would run on only the ecu, completely bypassing the ssafc? How would the car run? I have never driven a msp without the ssafc installed. Any consequenses with my mods? Thanks for the help hornsfan!

You can set all the cell values to 10 and that would essentially be the stock tune. You don't want to do that, there is a reason why myself, the previous owner of your car and many many others have spent time and money on the SSAFC, because the stock tune is far too rich and stock MSPs run horribly.

Load the super stock map and leave the settings in their default position.

Thanks for the help! I will do that tomorrow if I have time after school. Didn't get time to today... but thanks again for all the help guys!

I'm in the same boat, but I have yet to load a map yet. I tried to open the super stock but apparently you need Microsoft word? I only have the trial one, is there a way around this? I installed the unit last night and i'm running 14-15afrs when crusing, but when I floor it, it goes down to 11-12afrs. The previous owner of the PSC1 told me he loaded the protege garage map before selling it to me. Any help would be appreciated...

You open the map using the R4 software, not MS word. Open R4 and select the existing customer tab and then you open the map file in R4.

Ahh gotcha, damn I feel stupid. Thanks man, i'll try it when I get off work this afternoon.

So I was all hooked up, I uploaded the map I believe. Had map A and map B. It uploaded both. Is it supposed to do that. I noticed one was all 0s and the other all 10s. Did I upload the superstock map correctly? Car idled at 15 AFRs and then dropped to 10 AFRs when I gave it about 50% throttle. Something is telling me I didn't upload the map correctly and went back to stock tune. Car still hesitates and hits fuel cut. Any help would be much appreciated...

Back