Spied: 2017 Mazda CX-9

They're going to be on sale the 20th if my dealer is correct. I'm pretty sure he didn't email me with that to waste time

Other thoughts - Im starting to think you either go super cheap with the sport model or you have to go GT. The touring is where I wish I could spend but there's too many things missing without the convenience package and GT upgrades

I have no reason to doubt your dealer; but I do not have the same reliance that you have that car sales people would not waste your time...

I do not have the same reliance that you have that car sales people would not waste your time...

Wasting your time is the number one tool employed by car sales people. In many ways, it's the only tool they have. You can do about an hour of internet research and know more about any car than they do. Each dealership is selling approximately the same car you can get from the next dealership. So the only way a sales person can get you to buy their car is to waste as much of your time as possible. The more time you spend with a sales person, the less likely you are to go find another one and go through the process again.

Which is why he has no reason to lie about may 20 being the arrival date for the cx9. No use breaking any trust

Again, I don't have that faith. The opposite view is that he lies about that date to keep you interested. If he says "I don't know", or he tells you it might be 60 days, you are more likely to just lose interest in him, or that vehicle, and take your business elsewhere. But 20 days--gee, that's not too long to wait for a car. Then on the 20th day, when you call, "Oh, there was a delay at the port."

I'm not saying it's not true--I just don't have that blind faith that the salesman is telling me facts. They make stuff up all the time to keep you engaged.

Last edited:
The auto RO-RO ship that off-loaded the CX-9's in Melbourne, Australia is the "Prestige Ace". The owner (Mitsui O.S.K Lines, or MOL) of that ship also owns the auto RO-RO "Swallow Ace", which docked today at the Port of Tacoma (Washington). The Swallow Ace's port of departure was the Port of Hiroshima, so for sure it is carrying Mazdas, and I would expect that some of them are CX-9's. We should know soon. Unfortunately, it's not an easy drive for me to Tacoma; perhaps another member in the area could verify (they should be on the Auto Warehousing Company lot after off-loading).

Hello all. I recently discovered this forum having become interested in the new Mazda CX-9 as a replacement for my current vehicle. I had previously also registered on the Mazda 2016 CX-9 microsite.

FYI, on Wednesday I received a call from a local Mazda dealer (Gladstone Mazda) letting me know that a ship was at the port and that they would be receiving 2 CX-9's within "the next couple of weeks". Triangulating this against the information from racerscott leads me to strongly suspect that the ship they referred to is, in fact, the one docked up in Tacoma.

Net-net, it's highly likely that we'll see some CX-9's sooner rather than later--at least here in the PNW.

Again, I don't have that faith. The opposite view is that he lies about that date to keep you interested. If he says "I don't know", or he tells you it might be 60 days, you are more likely to just lose interest in him, or that vehicle, and take your business elsewhere. But 20 days--gee, that's not too long to wait for a car. Then on the 20th day, when you call, "Oh, there was a delay at the port."

I'm not saying it's not true--I just don't have that blind faith that the salesman is telling me facts. They make stuff up all the time to keep you engaged.

i know what you mean. For me personally im just waiting for the reviews to drop around the 20th and to go check one out in person.

Hi everybody,

I'm new here. I've been waiting patiently fro the new CX-9 to arrive. I've put off buying something until I can test drive one. I just stumbled upon this video of one in a showroom. Nice to see another color other than gray. It's also nice to see a non Signature trim level.

My wife likes the Murano. We know it won't drive as well, but it does have available cooled seats. I'm also looking at sub 8K mile Certified Touaregs too. There are quite a few available. Crummy gas mileage, but a nice ride.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Woah, seriously bad fitting, baggy leather at the bottom of the 2nd row seat at 2:35 on the video. Very cheap plastic (shiny and hard looking) for the rear HVAC vent plastic piece as well. Hmmm....

Woah, seriously bad fitting, baggy leather at the bottom of the 2nd row seat at 2:35 on the video. Very cheap plastic (shiny and hard looking) for the rear HVAC vent plastic piece as well. Hmmm....

Steering wheel's totally in the wrong place too.

Would not buy.

This review looks to be an Australian model since the steering in on the right side. I found the video below from the NAIAS and I found it to offer the clearest view inside and out for the Signature Trim Level in Machine Grey Metallic. This has me staring intently on the CX-9. I also use the Auto Trader link and found that one dealer in my market has 4 on their site, no eta. I will happily stop over to see them for a test drive, but I suspect they won't be offering test drives unless you are buying. This mega dealership group is not so customer oriented or friendly. My preferred Mazda dealer doesn't have any inbound yet, but its cool, I'm not planning until next year, BUT, I could always see about turning the lease in early :)

Hi everybody,

My wife likes the Murano. We know it won't drive as well, but it does have available cooled seats. I'm also looking at sub 8K mile Certified Touaregs too. There are quite a few available. Crummy gas mileage, but a nice ride.

The CVT is horrible in the Murano or any other Nissan for that matter. Worst droning rattle traps made.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everybody,

I'm new here. I've been waiting patiently fro the new CX-9 to arrive. I've put off buying something until I can test drive one. I just stumbled upon this video of one in a showroom. Nice to see another color other than gray. It's also nice to see a non Signature trim level.

Thoughts?

I noticed there are two circular sensors on the lower bumper area, and they look identical to the ones on the back which are for the rear backup sensors. Front sensors are not available in the US version so why are they putting them on the AU version?

Hey guys, first post here. Mazda fan. My wife drives a 6 manual. Interested in the CX-9. Really I only need the CX-5, but looking for something a little quieter and with a roomier that can be used as a great roadtripper for the family.

Looking forward to good discussions on once this vehicle is finally available to drive. Especially interested in comparisons as no vehicle is perfect and it as been said in a previous post, some of the competition comes in significantly more expensive. My other interests are the Edge, Murano and Sorento. I really don't need a 3rd row, but would accept it.

Edge to me looks great and I like Ford designs in general. But Ford hasn't yet rolled out automatic braking, so that's the major con in my book. And like Mazda, if you want to upgraded headlights, you are buying a loaded model.

I sat in a Murano and really like the interior and the comfortable seats. I used to love Nissan, but not anymore. I am not a fan of CVTs either, but it seems like with their powerful V6 it works as well as possible.

Sorento is a solid choice, but doesn't call to me like the CX-9, Edge and even Murano do stylistically. 5/60 bumper-to-bumper is a nice perk though.

Hoping the Mazda will handle so well, that the trade-offs be perfectly acceptable for the drivers out there.

I also agree with otapnam go Sport or go GT. I know for many the Touring will offer the greatest value, but you get all the space and goodness in the Sport for a great price. But if you want the latest safety features and upgraded headlights, which I do, that means all the way to the GT.

Hey guys, first post here. Mazda fan. My wife drives a 6 manual. Interested in the CX-9. Really I only need the CX-5, but looking for something a little quieter and with a roomier that can be used as a great roadtripper for the family.

Looking forward to good discussions on once this vehicle is finally available to drive. Especially interested in comparisons as no vehicle is perfect and it as been said in a previous post, some of the competition comes in significantly more expensive. My other interests are the Edge, Murano and Sorento. I really don't need a 3rd row, but would accept it.

Edge to me looks great and I like Ford designs in general. But Ford hasn't yet rolled out automatic braking, so that's the major con in my book. And like Mazda, if you want to upgraded headlights, you are buying a loaded model.

I sat in a Murano and really like the interior and the comfortable seats. I used to love Nissan, but not anymore. I am not a fan of CVTs either, but it seems like with their powerful V6 it works as well as possible.

Sorento is a solid choice, but doesn't call to me like the CX-9, Edge and even Murano do stylistically. 5/60 bumper-to-bumper is a nice perk though.

Hoping the Mazda will handle so well, that the trade-offs be perfectly acceptable for the drivers out there.

I also agree with otapnam go Sport or go GT. I know for many the Touring will offer the greatest value, but you get all the space and goodness in the Sport for a great price. But if you want the latest safety features and upgraded headlights, which I do, that means all the way to the GT.

I will note that the Sorrento is the smallest of the bunch of "midsized" 3-row crossovers. If you don't truly need the size of the CX-9, or it's more habitable 3rd row, the Kia may be a good choice. Edge Sport is pretty nice too.

Last edited:
Found a picture of Silver online:

31655oi.jpg

Australia gets abundant new safety technology standard on all CX-9 trims

Australia gets abundant new safety technology standard on all CX-9 trims:
Under the umbrella of Mazdas new i-ACTIVSENSE technologies, Mazdas new flagship SUV will feature advanced blind-spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert and forward/reverse Smart City Brake Support in all versions.

We poor saps here in North America have to buy the Touring with Touring Convenience Package in order to match. Bad move, Mazda USA, bad move.

Last edited:
Australia gets abundant new safety technology standard on all CX-9 trims:
Under the umbrella of Mazda’s new i-ACTIVSENSE technologies, Mazda’s new flagship SUV will feature advanced blind-spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert and forward/reverse Smart City Brake Support in all versions.

We poor saps here in North America have to buy the Touring with Touring Convenience Package in order to match. Bad move, Mazda USA, bad move.

Even with all packages / options it will probably be much cheaper in the USA than here in OZ. don't complain.

Back