Spicy Orange or Titanium Grey?!

It is possible that it might attract more attention, but if people know what to look for than it doesn't really matter. I don't plan on leaving mine unattended anywhere other than work or my fiances house or some safe place, if there is such a thing. I park in the garage, I feel for those that don't have a garage, it won't matter what color it is. I definitely won't be driving it to the club or anything like that. I might not like the orange and might wind up getting the black, I have first shot at either color since I was the first to put a deposit down at my dealership.

Well it's only available in orange here for now. If my choices were the already existing orange or black or the still not officially(but seem likely) yellow or grey, I'd probably be very torn on the yellow or grey and the orange or black would come a distant 3rd/4th.

Now if the MSP came in MP3 blue....it'd be no contest, I'd be getting that color for sure!

all you canadians considering the next color wave should beware......just like in this wave only orange are being sold in canada you might hold out for a grey msp and find out only yellow is being sold in the great white north.....just something to keep in mind

colin949 said:
the mazdaspeed i saw at the corporate office was grey, it might just be the color of the next wave of speeds

Please do elaborate on your sighting of the Mazda titanium grey. Was it like a dark grey silver or more like a pearly grey?! How metallic looking is it I mean. Thanks.

doubt they'd release 750 of just of the yellow colour of just the grey colour in canada considering they're only releasing 250 of the orange. It sure would be odd for them to have 3 times as many yellow ones as orange. Plus it's been confirmed through several sources. My only concern is whether or not my dealer has a choice on which colour(s) they get.

Is it just me, or does the possibility of them making 'more colors' irritate anyone else? I mean, part of the reason I'm getting this car, aside from the obvious, is that it's a LIMITED EDITION. 1750 or 2000 cars, depending on what you read, available in black or orange. 1 of 2000 is a lot more attractive than 1 of 20,000. The more they make, the less special EVERYONE'S car is going to become.

Just my thoughts ...

Albert - Unfortunately it's the bastardization of a good relatively inexpensive thing. My guess is Mazda has been keeping track of how many deposits have been put down and saw something they liked (I mean aside from certain niche mags how much advertising has there been?) they are anticipating a lagging demand from the everyday joe when he sees us in our MSP, however it seems they are releasing the orange and black as "enthusiast" colors if you will where the others will be "everyday" cars. Now remeber production of even 4,000 for all of North America is unheard of, even the horribly performing Cougar sold 20-30k+ units a year, and just using the US as an example.. 4,000 total production / 50 states = 80 MSP per state.. Now I see you are in Detroit as well so there will be more concentrations toward the larger cities.. but I swear I see 4,000 Mustangs, Cavaliers, Civics, Dodge Rams a DAY.. with something like even 40 in a metro area it would still be considered a rare car, and its not like we are buying these to have them sit in a garage and appreciate, because we all know as soon as we drive it off the lot the depreciation hits!

BTW - Where in D-town?

ALSO.. it's a way to keep costs down for the buyer, i'm sure with a vehicle such as ours the marginal cost per vehicle for the manufacturer is only going down with each additional unit sold.

Cost wouldn't effect us, they won't forecast some revenue in 2003 CY to price a car they will be selling in 2002 CY, would create a big mess in the corporate books. Also, I dont even think Mazda is sure on releasing more, we would have to see how quickly these go and if there is even demand after this batch, there will be some demand but they are hoping for a sellout now and if they release the new colors. If not an immediate sellout then beating the average days on the lot for its competition (ie. MSP on dealer lot for 5 days where a Focus SE (just an example) sits on the lot for 54 days).

lets all go to consumer reports once we get ours and tell them our windshields caved in at 30+mph, the door fell of its 3rd time being opened and the orange paint washed off in the first rain.......some press like that and they wont make another batch!
:)

lol, ok.. if it doesn't lower the price for the consumer, with a lower marginal cost that only increases how much they're profiting, simple.

lol, ok.. if it doesn't lower the price for the consumer, with a lower marginal cost that only increases how much they're profiting, simple.

Umm.. ok.. How do you get a lower marginal cost?? Seing as most of the modifications for the Midwest/East were done at AAI during ramp up for the 6 the cost will actually be higher because they would have to find someone else to do, the people at AAI wil be busy with the 6.

So explain to me how there is a lower marginal cost.

(mspo)

well you see, i was counting backwards from yesterday whereas since the last time we calculated the marginal shipping cost for operatoinal management and so on it was minus 5, not plus. so its quite simple.

haha. it really is quite simple, you have a set amount of fixed costs and you have variable costs. Easiest way to think about it is this: you have set advertising/marketing/initial production costs divide that by 1000 units and then divide that by 2000 units instead. OBVIOUSLY, x/1000 > x/2000. it's that simple, so indeed the marginal cost (cost to produce one more vehicle) to the company is indeed lower for each proceeding unit they build over the preceding one having incurred all the fixed costs to start.

Last edited:
Not true with a "specialty" vehicle. Their fixed costs are vehicle specific and are incremental. Since the MSP is just a protege the build is no big deal, however the modification of it is where your assumption is wrong. Since the initial batch is done or close to it, any additional units will have to be modified somewhere elses in most cases (AAI for example, with full production of the 6 they do not have the extra workforce to modify unless Mazda wants to pay them overtime). So in an overal view the next batch will concieveably cost more than the first, not to mention the advertising will have to be done and SCC type audience will already be saturated so they will need to get TV time which is much more costly than a SCC full page ad.

:)

you're getting knitpicky with all the costs, production capacity and what not and is still speculatory; however, what is for CERTAIN is that the initial advertising costs don't lose 100% of it's value in just the first release, ie it still holds "value" to mazda for the 2nd release. As a result this gets divided over the greater # of vehicles thereby lowering the marginal cost. Put it this way, imagine if they made ONLY 1 msp to sell? All the development costs (hiring the aftermarket tuners to tune the msp etc) are spent just on one vehicle? NOW compare that with producing 2 of them, oh my the developmental cost per vehicle was just cut in half oh my! :eek: :eek: obviously this isn't the case, but the idea is the same for increasing production of a "type" by a certain amount. ALSO this is a limited production vehicle meaning it's still at the point where marginal cost is ever decreasing. I mention this b/c at one point the marginal cost is going to start to increase, but obviously this isn't ever going to be the case with the msp. Not to mention the benefits of limited production vehicles for a company (enhancing brand image which is advertising in itself) which is apparent.

Last edited:
Albert said:
Is it just me, or does the possibility of them making 'more colors' irritate anyone else? I mean, part of the reason I'm getting this car, aside from the obvious, is that it's a LIMITED EDITION. 1750 or 2000 cars, depending on what you read, available in black or orange. 1 of 2000 is a lot more attractive than 1 of 20,000. The more they make, the less special EVERYONE'S car is going to become.

Just my thoughts ...

HOW THE HELL DO YOU THINK THE MP3 OWNERS FEEL ABOUT YOUR MAZDASPEED.... AND HOW DO YOU THINK WE FEEL ABOUT THE P5s AND BASE MODEL PROs BEING RELEASED IN LASER MICA BLUE... HUH? HUH??

Albert - Unfortunately it's the bastardization of a good relatively inexpensive thing. My guess is Mazda has been keeping track of how many deposits have been put down and saw something they liked (I mean aside from certain niche mags how much advertising has there been?) they are anticipating a lagging demand from the everyday joe when he sees us in our MSP, however it seems they are releasing the orange and black as "enthusiast" colors if you will where the others will be "everyday" cars. Now remeber production of even 4,000 for all of North America is unheard of, even the horribly performing Cougar sold 20-30k+ units a year, and just using the US as an example.. 4,000 total production / 50 states = 80 MSP per state.. Now I see you are in Detroit as well so there will be more concentrations toward the larger cities.. but I swear I see 4,000 Mustangs, Cavaliers, Civics, Dodge Rams a DAY.. with something like even 40 in a metro area it would still be considered a rare car, and its not like we are buying these to have them sit in a garage and appreciate, because we all know as soon as we drive it off the lot the depreciation hits!

BTW - Where in D-town?

ok.. a couple things here.. what would make black more of an enthusiast color than yellow?? and what the hell constitutes a color being called an "enthusiast color"?? I guess i kinda see what your getting at... and yes.. you are right... 4,000 units isnt that many... but add on top of that the mp3s.. which your average person wouldnt be able to tell the diff between the two other than color... and add on top of that all the ppl who are doing the stoopid pro -> mp3 conversion.. they are all gonna look like mazdaspeeds too... my opinion... they should have stopped at 1500 mp3s... never made the mazdaspeed... rather they should have released a factory turbo upgrade... just like TRD does for toyota... have mazdaspeed make a turbo for the car and put the stipulation that if u buy that turbo and have the dealer install it, you can keep it under warranty... but mazda doesnt care what the enthusiasts who own the cars already want... they care how they can screw ppl who thought they were getting something limited edition in every way possible.. they just want money... no other reason for releasing basically an "upgraded" mp3 and releasing the p5/pro in laser mica blue... but whatever...

sorry guys.. i know that came off kinda mean.. im not trying to be a dick.. its just.. i was supposed to have one of 1500 cars... not one of 5500+ (depending on how many ppl do the mp3 conversion).... and i was supposed to have a limited edition color too... but whatever.. mazda just screwed me on another point... not to mention all the problems w/ the warranty issues.. (look for posts about transmission problems in the mp3.. you'll find out what i mean)

and just a word of warning to all those who ordered the orange msp... IF YOU HAVENT SEEN IT IN PERSON.. BEWARE i thought that the orange was a phat color too.. till this weekend when i saw it in person at tunerfest/nhra world finals... the color looks REALLY REALLY pale orange in person.. its not as zippy as it looks in pictures... and those pimp ass little shiny fleks underneath the topcoat... they look ****** amazing in pics.. but in person.. you can barely notice em :( so you guys may want to reconsider your color... or try and talk a dealer into throwing a unique color paint job on as an option for a little extra...

anyway.. sorry bout the long post and if i pissed anyone off... didnt mean to ;)
good luck to all you msp peeps... oh yah.. and do some research on the tranny they used for the msp... cuz if its the same one as the mp3... be careful.. dont know how that thing will handle the extra power when it was kinda flaky in the mp3 to begin with...

Back