Speed3 Top Speed Governor

balkanbase

:
'08 Mazdaspeed3 Sport
I'm looking to hit up the texasmile event in may. Been there with my old DSM and it was fun as hell. I read that the speed3 was governed around 155 (and confirmed it not long after i bought it (nana)). Any way to get rid of that? Does the AP have that capability? Heck, even if its temporarily...i can care less if i "steal" 5-10 miles by disconnecting the speedo (how?), i wanna see what this thing can do flat out in a legal way!!!

Yes the Accessport from COBB will remove the speed limiter I have the COBB and there is a massive difference !

Sweet thx, im running an ap tune but never knew or even got up to that speed since I bought it. Guess im all set then

what part of springfield, VA are you? have you been going to monday night meet in kingstown??

Msf can lick my hairy ass balls, go back to the douche forums "nucca"
Spdjnke, are u guys meeting with the vw crowd? havent been to that meet in a while, I didn't know mazdas gather there too now :) ill have to drop by next week

I was unable to hit 155 with the stock ECU, even with a catless dp/rp and good intake. Both my speedometer and an on-board GPS read 153 on two back to back runs. With the stock ECU, the electronics are severely closing the throttle plate to preserve the turbocharger, thereby limiting power. This begins at 5,500 rpm and is in full bloom by 6,000 rpm.

With the Hypertech (my choice) or AP tune (yours) allowing for somewhat more open throttle body at higher rpm and a raising of the top limit, I might be able to squeeze a couple more mph since the throttle plate does not close quite so rapidly (155 is 6,000 rpm in 6th gear), but I would not expect a whole lot more without toasting that turbo. Nor would I want to try. The K04 has a little tiny 5mm journal shaft and a small scroll that limits the amount of air that can be pushed through before becoming a raging furnace. The heat will get to that shaft, soften it, cause it to sag and cause the turbo's very tight internal clearances to disappear. Metal-to-metal internal cotact ensues with resultant self-destruct. Part of that destruction is likely to send tiny (or larger) pieces of turbine blades through the intake valves into the combustion chamber. Zoom, zoom, boom.

Oh, and to +1 an earlier post, you are not going to get up to that much speed in a standing mile, either, IMHO.

Last edited:
Interesting, I hit spd governor with a bone stock car plus intake at 2k miles after I bought it. And vw/audi community has proven times and times over what a k04 (which they mostly use as a solid upgrade) is capable of...socoming from a wide variety of cars (vw, muscle, dsm) to mazdas, I think its possible....or do u wanna tell me a ms3 is as fast as a 1.8t gti with a k03, apr chip, exhaust and fmic, cos ive seen one hit 140ish in the mile? Maybe urs is, buddy, but I dont like to think mine's in the same bracket...

Last edited:
ugh your such an idiot, there are so many things wrong with that post i dont even know where to begin

Start somewhere? Subscribed for humor. The k04 they use on their 1.8T's and 2.7TT's aren't the same as the ones we're using on ours. The k04 we use is basically a throw-away unit. Guys crack the hot side housing after... what? 50-60k and 18 psi or so? If you're on a Cobb tune.

Well, I run 13.4 quarters at 106 before Hypertech tune. 60-100 mph is up in 6.1 seconds and I have a video posted under this username on YouTube with a 40-120 mph roll of 12.5 seconds. All recorded before the recent HT tune and all on stock tires. I think that ain't too shabby for my modest level of tune. Even so, 155+ mph in the standing mile seems beyond reach.

So, OP, are you breaking into the 12's on street tires or something at the strip?

And as to the K04 on the VW-Audi platform, check out the problems their highly respected custom tuner, Neuspeed, had when they tried to push that turbo past 6,000 rpm with more than 15 psi of boost. See attachment snatched from another forum, but also available from Neuspeed, if you are interested.

While there are minor variations in the various K04's they all share that tiny center shaft and all have close to the same efficiency limitations. That's why Neuspeed's original aggressive tune was destroying the K04 upgrade turbos they were selling and why they had to revise the tune and issue the warning.

Attachments

• KO4 turbo limitations.pdf
    11.4 KB · Views: 5,740
Last edited:
i predict his motor will take the pussy route and spin a bearing rather than go out in a ball of glory

If he's lucky, it'll hold together for the run but sustain progressive damage for fail on down the road. Not gonna hit 160 mph in that distance, even if the turbo and engine don't take a s***. More likely, the turbo will just lock up, cut off air supply and the engine will die. Worse case is total fail with the turbine vanes grenading and getting sucked into combustion chambers under load. If that happens, with all the torque this engine makes, he's likely to have a well-ventillated block, twisted connecting rods and a really screwed up cylinder head.

Maybe I'm wrong. But that little turbo was never meant to sustain 15+ psi at over 5,800 rpm.

Eh, haven't actually been to the meet on Monday's in Kingstown but know there are a few people that have been going...I'm waiting for the weather to warm as my car is still in winter mode, to lazy to clean it all up and switch out my wheels etc...so maybe I will make it out in LATE April early May.

Msf can lick my hairy ass balls, go back to the douche forums "nucca"
Spdjnke, are u guys meeting with the vw crowd? havent been to that meet in a while, I didn't know mazdas gather there too now :) ill have to drop by next week

K04 is better on other platforms because it's a better match for their motors. It's way too small for our motor and therefore less efficient on our platform.

But yeah... There's no way in hell you're going to max the car out in a mile

Latest posts

Back