Speed3 just doesn't feel the same...

Adammazda06

:
Mazdaspeed3
So it was just another normal day at my Dealership, when one of our wholesalers came up to look at a few cars. He was driving a 2006 Z06 Corvette. After a few minutes of drooling I walk back inside to hear him say "go ahead and take it for a spin". WOW is the best words I can think of to describe the Z06. Having 500 horses at your disposal is an amazing feeling. What shocked me more than anything wasn't the speed, it was how easy it was to drive. This is a pointless post, but I just wanted to share my excitement. Here's a pic!

001_1 (Large).JPG

I have no idea what I'd do with 500 horses... on public streets

I'm sure I'd end up in jail, at best (nailbyt)

actually i thought about, and still am, buying one. i priced my insurance out on it and its only 103/month. a buddy of mine in vegas has one and drives the piss out of his. 28mpg's on the freeway

^^ I think it shuts the cylinders down to conserve fuel. They're getting pretty expensive (>70k) but at one time they were hard to beat cost wise. If I were in the market, I'd probably consider a base vette for around $45k and ramp it up with mods.

It would definitely make a good second car if you can afford it.

this one has 24,000 miles and the wholesaler said he needed to get 55k out of it. its loaded up with leather and navi. if i had 50 grand to spend on a second car, i would get it.

^^ I think it shuts the cylinders down to conserve fuel.
They're getting pretty expensive (>70k) but at one time they were hard to beat cost wise. If I were in the market, I'd probably consider a base vette for around $45k and ramp it up with mods.

It gets its gas mileage from the double overdrive 6spd. All 6spd LSX motors have a crazy 6th gear ratio- In my T/A, I turned 1000 rpm at 50mph in 6th.

And 70k may seem expensive, but its a bargain for what you get. It's comapred with Porsches, Ferraris, etc.(usa)

Actually the Speed3 has two different FD ratios, which is great. You get strong acceleration in 1st through 4th, then you get lower engine speed when cruising in 5th & 6th.

Basically win-win...good acceleration AND low engine speed when cruising.

The biggest selling point for me, when I got my Speed3 last week, was that it was a practical performance vehicle.

Usable backseat, lots of space, comfortable, and reasonable insurance rates. It also doesn't scream "pull me over" like a Corvette does.

Sure, a Corvette has a lot of street cred and recognition, but you'd be surprised how well a Speed3 can stack up against one of the lower C5s with an automatic (which a lot of people buy to cruise around in).

this one has 24,000 miles and the wholesaler said he needed to get 55k out of it. its loaded up with leather and navi. if i had 50 grand to spend on a second car, i would get it.

I'm going to really show my age here, but I remember when $50g would buy a decent house and a hot car. Now I'm officially feeling old...

This whole discussion is kinda weird...we are comparing apples to oranges in the most extreme sense: a huge V8-powered RWD sports car to a turbocharged-4 banger import station wagon. I hate to oversimplify, but a Corvette and a Speed3 couldn't be any different.

Hell, whenever I drive my dad's G35 it is a completely different experience than the Speed3.

I really like the new corvettes but I have to agree, two completely different cars built for two completely different purposes. You are very fortunate to be able to drive one! Hope it was fun!!! Like I've said many times I'd love to have the money it would take to buy a facility big enough to house all the different cars, trucks and motorcycles I love!

Do what Jerry Seinfeld did...buy a parking garage. Then put all your Porsches in there. Then don't drive them ever.

At least Leno's collection sees road time and goes to shows and stuff. I hate it when someone gets a rare or exotic car and doesn't drive it.

Road & Track did their famous McLaren F1 review back in the early 90s, and the car they used in the review had actually been driven like 7000+ miles. The bumper had some paint chips, some scratches...and lots of people wrote in about it. They said "good, someone actually uses the car rather than letting it collect dust".

"good, someone actually uses the car rather than letting it collect dust".

Completely agree. If there was an accident some people would say it was criminal that a piece of automotive history got damaged or even worse, destroyed. I say the crime would be to let a piece of historical automotive engineering sit and rot under a layer of dust. They were built to be driven.

I can't believe how many comments are actually negative. I'd give my left testicle to own a Z06. "Don't know what you'd do with 500hp"- "End up in a cemetary"- say WHAT?! I don't know about you but I'd LOVE to have 500hp and I'd have the control and sensibility not to kill myself in it to boot.

Back