speed shifting !!

coyfish

Just wondering how you upshift when your at the track or whatever. I used to think that the best shift was simply the fastest one. Smash the clutch in, rip foot off gas, throw in gear, rip clutch out, slam on gas.

I don't drive hard very often so thats why im curious. I recently found that the car is MUCH faster if you give it a little gas while engaging the clutch instead of after.

I don't drive hard very often so thats why im curious. I recently found that the car is MUCH faster if you give it a little gas while engaging the clutch instead of after.

That's called power-shifting. It's fun.

I dont do it. I usually let off the gas some but not completely. My car tends to sputter and back fire if I give it too much gas.

^^^ Yep, easing partly off the gas and then easing back into it while disengaging the clutch seems to make for a smooth and effective gear change. I'm still working on how to drive and shift best with this car, but that works pretty well.

Smash the clutch in, rip foot off gas, throw in gear, rip clutch out, slam on gas.

My first couple trips to the track I was using this method and posting some pretty bad times. When I looked back at the video, you can see how much the car jumps from the sudden "on and off". I think a version of the above technique would be a lot better.

Just wondering how you upshift when your at the track or whatever. I used to think that the best shift was simply the fastest one. Smash the clutch in, rip foot off gas, throw in gear, rip clutch out, slam on gas.

You guys need the WOT Box w/2step...

Thanks for your posts. I did a few runs today and i experimented with the amount of gas I gave while engaging the clutch. Definately faster when you give it some gas right as the clutch engages.

I was actually looking at WOT boxes yesterday. IT says it activates when you powershift under WOT. Does this mean the pedal has to be on the floor in order for it to work ? Usually I put my foot down like 85-90% because it feels like I accell faster.

The 2 step seems awesome. Its not too expensive but not many people here have them.

Thanks for your posts. I did a few runs today and i experimented with the amount of gas I gave while engaging the clutch. Definately faster when you give it some gas right as the clutch engages.

I was actually looking at WOT boxes yesterday. IT says it activates when you powershift under WOT. Does this mean the pedal has to be on the floor in order for it to work ? Usually I put my foot down like 85-90% because it feels like I accell faster.

The 2 step seems awesome. Its not too expensive but not many people here have them.

Yes, the WOT function only "activates" if the throttle is pegged WOT quickly. If you're not wanting WFO, then it is passive.

I talked to my friend who drag races an sti, and he said "in awd cars you want to rev it up a little and slip the clutch in while shifting."

So yeah, basically "light" power-shifting.

I talked to my friend who drag races an sti, and he said "in awd cars you want to rev it up a little and slip the clutch in while shifting."

So yeah, basically "light" power-shifting.

Yeah Ive been practicing this and im much better. Went from like 6 second 0-60's to around 5.2.

As for the wot box, will it activate if you press the pedal quickly to 85%?? Cuz thats still not all the way WOT.

ya ive noticed if you try "power shifting" in the speed6 you get that huge jerk but if you give it alil gas as your switching gears it seems alotttt smoother and more power...i love powershifting when i had my old v6 mazda 6 lol usta beast that s*** but not in this thing i havnt even launchd it yet im scared :(

My car always seems to sputter like crazy from 2nd to 3rd if I dont let off the gas.

Double-clutch it. By far works best with my car.

PS- Quick6 you should send me a PM about your Cobb AP. Do you love it and was it worth the money you shelled out for it? Looking into buying one tuesday.

I think it's also called "flat-shifting," basically keeping the turbo spooling as you let the clutch out and in. I was reading a write-up on Edmunds, I think it was, where the Mazda rep actually recommended the flat shift for the fastest acceleration times. Claimed the car is built for it. But I can't remember if they were driving an MS3 or MS6. It would obviously be less stressful to the 3, I would think, since it can transmit excess energy into tirespin...

+1 on the AP. I've been considering one as well, largely because I'm told by an AP guru that it also can control the electronic throttle plate. True?

Latest posts

Back