special oil for rx8

dug06824

had my rx8 at the dealer today for a burned out headlight bulb ,...which they didn't have in stock .... while checking the oil they added a qt for $6.87 . they told me it is special oil not bulk oil . when I complaineds about the cost they told me it is mobil oil . whats the deal, does anyone know about this oil

they can put in whatever brand name crap they want, but they are NOT allowed to put in synthetic "special" oil :rolleyes:

what they did however was did you a service by topping off the oil because ALL rotary engines burn oil... what's NOT right is charging you/topping it off before letting you know

At our dealership when we'd get "Broken RX8's" in they seemed to always be putting oil in them but they told the owner first. Some would refuse and not realize the workings of the rotary. Heh.

the only thing I could see is that some dealers (when the RX8 first came out) didnt have the correct weight oil (5w20) and would actualy buy it from local parts stores by the bottle......although they didnt pass the cost off to the customer, they just billed mazda for it and charged the customer the "standard" price. Even then, a good quality 5w20 non-syn oil (in my area) is only 2.89 (Castrol GTX).

So for that cost it sounds like A) they ripped you off or B) they charged you for labor on 'topping' off, and I coudlnt imagine them putting more than 1qt in......(the distance from the low to high marks on the dip stick is 1 qt).

How often do you check your oil.

oil at the price of gold

I asked the dealer to check the oil when i brought the car in .they told me it was down a qt when the car was finished and had already put the qt in saying the cost of the oil was because it was special oil they had ordered for rx8s made by mobil and in a can ,not the usual bulk oil they have for most oil changes, I still feel ripped off since my car is less then 10 months old and being that they had me drive 40 miles round trip to replace a light bulb that they did not have in stock .,this is a complete 180 from this dealership that just a few months earlier topped my car off with prem fuel ,and washed my car and replaced my wipers free of charge, so I guess in the long run Iam ahead except that this is a 33 thousand dollar car .this dealership sells corvettes also ,I wonder if they charge $12.78 a qt for mobil one

Last edited:
sounds pricey, unless its rotary oil, which I doubt. Rotary oil here runs about $70-100 for 5 liters (about 5.3 quarts). Ya I used to go to the dealer, but they always end up ripping ya off.

dug06824 said:
I asked the dealer to check the oil when i brought the car in .they told me it was down a qt when the car was finished and had already put the qt in saying the cost of the oil was because it was special oil they had ordered for rx8s made by mobil and in a can ,not the usual bulk oil they have for most oil changes, I still feel ripped off since my car is less then 10 months old and being that they had me drive 40 miles round trip to replace a light bulb that they did not have in stock .,this is a complete 180 from this dealership that just a few months earlier topped my car off with prem fuel ,and washed my car and replaced my wipers free of charge, so I guess in the long run Iam ahead except that this is a 33 thousand dollar car .this dealership sells corvettes also ,I wonder if they charge $12.78 a qt for mobil one

Id be REALLY interested to know exacaly what oil they put in, esp since it is supposed to be a non-syn oil in the car (according to mazda north america). All mobil 1 is technicaly "synthetic" although most of their oils dont use a PAO or POA (whatever it is) base stock, so they are just REALLY CLEAN group 3 oils, not group 4 with a pure syn base....... Youll have to check with your dealer and your local laws, around here, no shop is allowed to perform repairs/serivce on the car without having you sign an agreement with a specific ammount on it........so what ends up happening is you bring your car in, and they say "this should cost 150 to fix, so as long as the cost doesnt go above 150, we will just do the work, if it is going to go over, we will call you and you give us the yes or no"....so in your case, where you are having warranty work done, I would guess that you didnt sign anything with repairs cost......(i never sign anything when I take the car in for warranty stuff).....so depending on your local laws...they may have needed to call you first.

I have lived in some places that as long as the work is under 100 or some specific ammount they dont have to get a yes or no first, they can just do it....but they always have a sign clearly posted about it.

If I had taken my car in for a warranty fix and it was supposed to be free, and then I picked the car up and they said I owed money for work I didnt ask for (topping off my oil) I would have said I wasnt paying, and they could take the oil back out.

How often do you check your oil lvl, i check every tank of gas.....so I can keep an eye on it, just the other day I had to pick up a qt of oil to top off.....it was a whole 2.80 with tax for 1 qt of 5w20 Castrol GTX (a very good non-syn oil).

Something like a lightbuld (unless its the HIDs) is something I wont even take my car to the dealer for....even if it costs me 5 bucks or whatever out of pocket.....the monkeys at most dealers really dont know jack about cars....and I have had more than my share of stains on seats, scratches on doors, loose lugnuts, overfilled tires, missing floor mats, ect, ect........

Back