Spark Plug Question

mazgirl235

:
2002.5 Protege 5
My car is about the reach 30k and the manual says to replace the spark plugs amongst doing other things. I was wondering what spark plugs y'all suggest.

just get the stock spec NGK or Denso plugs, the model numbers should be in your manual, or most parts stores can look it up for you

extended reach don't really do much for you, and neither do the iridium or platinum varients

save your money for better performance tweaks :)

Last edited:
SkinnyJoint said:
stock NGK's till i die
I used to live in Fort Walton Beach. Do you know any of the minitruckers done there? I lived behind the WalMart off of Beal Pkwy. Just wondering if possibly I knew you.

mazgirl235 said:
I used to live in Fort Walton Beach. Do you know any of the minitruckers done there? I lived behind the WalMart off of Beal Pkwy. Just wondering if possibly I knew you.

saweet come back and hang out somtime lol. i dont really know what u mean by minitruckers so maybe elaborate a lil bit, i live right past hurlburt off 98 im stationed at eglin though

spark plugs and wires

obx spark plugs are the best i have them on my 03 mazda protege 5 2.0l
they work great as for the wires i just ordered the sparko setup will see if it works.

you can upgrade to NGK ZFR5F-11 extended reach plugs part # 2262 (vs normal reach for stock)

they use them over in japan for better power since they have higher octane over there. it'd be a good idea to run 89 octane with them but you don't have to.

SkinnyJoint said:
saweet come back and hang out somtime lol. i dont really know what u mean by minitruckers so maybe elaborate a lil bit, i live right past hurlburt off 98 im stationed at eglin though
I know exactly where 98 is. I had a lot of friends who were stationed at eglin. My son's father lives in Fort Walton Beach; I haven't been down there since we broke up. Minitruckers are guys who drive trucks who have airbag suspension and body work done like shaved doorhandles. Minitrucks are all of the smaller trucks like S10s, Rangers, Mazda B2000 series, and Nissan hardbodys.

obx is not really known for spark plugs. Now spark plugs I'm sure are not something you can really improve on (and all that market hype is bs) but they are def something integral to the car so go with the factory plugs, they're only like 2.00 each.

My suggestion would be to go buy and install platinum plugs, bosch is what is in my P5, any brand will do.

My reason: Platinum is NOT a performance enhancer in fact no spark plug will ever enhance performance, they can just be tailored to operating conditions. The BENEFIT of platinum is that they will last five times longer than other plugs, so you change them way less and the lifetime cost is lower than conventional plugs. This means regular single electrode platinum plugs, those +4 plugs are bulls***, the spark only arcs to one electrode at a time.

As far as long reach plugs and high octane gas, well you are wasting your money. Your octane won't increase power as you are doing nothing to change your compression ratio and I know the plug protrudes a little into the chamber but that won't increase compression enough to neccesitate mid octane gasoline.

Last edited:
Plugs

I vote for the projected nose plugs. They are fine with 87 octane and make a small but notieable difference. I just used the standard copper plugs because they are inexpensive and the plugs are so easy to change...why spend the extra for platinum, etc.

hi do you use these? They are not for 2002 p5, are they?
I read that they even give a little more hp. Is it true? Should I bother with a Stock motor with intake and header with these plugs??

toucci said:
you can upgrade to NGK ZFR5F-11 extended reach plugs part # 2262 (vs normal reach for stock)

they use them over in japan for better power since they have higher octane over there. it'd be a good idea to run 89 octane with them but you don't have to.

obx plugs work fine go with the sparko plug wires it gave me about 4 hp and better reaction time all i have is cold air intake exaust and obx headers without the plugs and plug wires my 03 p5 dyno at 118.5hp to the wheels 122.7hp after.

Last edited:
Back