Spare Key & Fob Programming for Mazda5

That makes sense. Ordered two at that price. If we end up losing all four we clearly deserve the ride the dealer will take us on.

I have a fob that apparently lost it's program. I was told by Mazda that I had to purchase a new one. I did, but what could make this happen? It didn't go through the wash, I didn't get caught in a down pour. No damage other than normal wear and tear. It started working intermittently and I changed the batteries. After that, it never worked again. Is there a way to get this working again? Thanks...

it could be that the battery contacts are dirty... try cleaning the contacts with some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip and reinstalling the battery. it's rare for these to stop working. it's not losing its program, per se, but probably just failing to send out the RF signal.

having had both the flip key remotes and the separate remote fobs, my experience has been that the mazda flip key remote battery has needed changing about once every two years... i've never had to replace the battery in the separate remote fob.

I have tried to clean the contacts and reinstall batteries. I have tried to program the fob. nothing. the light bar between the lock and unlock buttons doesn't light up and that's why the stealership told me that i would have to buy a new one. stupid "smart" key!!!

open the thing up and spray the pc board with contact cleaner.
Let dry, re-assemble then try again.

I have tried to clean the contacts and reinstall batteries. I have tried to program the fob. nothing. the light bar between the lock and unlock buttons doesn't light up and that's why the stealership told me that i would have to buy a new one. stupid "smart" key!!!

If the battery is new and the light does not go on when yo press the button. That would mean the contacts on the buttons are not good. Try cleaning the contact on the buttons with some rubbing alcohol, or contact cleaner as someone has suggested.

I just drove my new (to me) 2007 Mazda5 home from the dealer. He only had 1 switchblade key. If I am reading this thread correctly, since I only have 1 key, I HAVE to go to a dealer to get a 2nd one. Is this right? I initially thought I could just get a key cut without a FOB, but people were saying that this triggers the alarm when the door is unlocked.

What is my least expensive option for getting a second key for my wife? (a FOB would be nice, but not required)

Thank you!

Hi Marty, you will need to get a second switchblade or a key with a transponder from the dealer or other source. You will need to get it program by the dealer because you need 2 working transponder keys in order to program new keys yourself. You can also try Ebay and I think there was someone in this forum that can sell you a key and program it for you if you supply him with your VIN number. You will have to do a search in this forum to find the vendor. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Same situation for us Marty, so I bought 2 new fobs/key blanks off Ebay for $80 or so shipped, and plan on getting the blanks cut by a locksmith then take one to the dealer for programming and program the 3rd myself since you need 2 working ones to do another.

I think that's the lowest cost option and I'm hoping I can talk the dealer into doing it for free while they fix the bumper cover under warranty tomorrow, but we'll see.

Welcome Marty. Dave is right; you will need to program the key with software, but you can buy the key from any vendor, as well as from the dealer.

Ebay has Mazda OEM transponder keys, in standard and switchblade, new and used, for much cheaper than the dealer.

However you end up with two programmed keys, get another transponder key to have three programmed keys. Cheap insurance IMHO

Just saw super's post, so....what he said:)

Thanks guys! I found some blank switchblades on eBay, item #300459333027 (When I paste a link to the auction, it doesn't work!) I just ordered two keys.

I think I will get 2 and try to program the 3rd myself after the dealer programs the 2nd one (replacement #1). I look forward to learning and sharing knowledge on this forum about my new 5! Should any reputable locksmith be able to cut these keys, or should I just go to the dealer?

Last edited:
Any locksmith should be able to cut it. Just note that some of the after market keys are not an exact fit and need some filing to make it work. Just look back one page of this thread for filing instructions.

I ended up taking them back for a recut since the edges were at angles. After recutting, they worked fine and the dealer programmed one remote/key while it was in for warranty work then I did the third at home.

Perfect, $95 total for 2 new remotes/cutting and $0 for programming.

This worked great for my 2010 Mazda5 GT. I bought a 3rd flip remote with blank key from Ebay (keygirl200902) for $40 + $8 shipping, had it cut locally for $5 and had it progranmmed within a minute using the instructions in the first post. Worked perfectly.

Thank-you OP!

Back