Sounds like my starter is sticking..help?

SDG

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hey guys, I have a problem it seems with my starter. I willl describe it the best I can...When I turn the key to start my car it makes a noise like the starter is stuck on for an extra second. Like if you were to start your car but hold the key in the start position instead of the on position. It does it probably 7 out of ten times I start the car. It always starts but the noise doesnt sound good at all.

Any ideas what it could be?

what is the condition of your battery?
if the starter solenoid has a problem, the best thing to do is to just get it rebuilt... you don't have to buy rebuilt ones from the parts store, they cost more and the workmanship is usually bad compared to a rebuild shop

No my warrant is up, although I have the option to buy an extended one, might be a good idea. I have only had this car for around two months..the battery is new.

The problem is either a defective battery or a srarter taking a dump, most likely.

Funny, I just got an Optima a few months back after replacing the original battery. Just in the last week, the car has been slow to start, barely cranking, then it will crank and start. I saw an E on the odometer. Tonight I took off the terminals and cleaned brushed them clean. They had some of the red anti-corrosion crap on them. So maybe it was not getting a full contact, thus little charge. It is pretty bad after sitting, and I have no stereo or anything wired to be always on.

My 02.5 is still under warranty, 72K miles. I just dread the dealershit in Gainesville. Will prolly try to say it is my intake or rims. I cannot trust them at all. So I will do what I can to narrow it down if it does nto get resolved with good terminal connections.
So try cleaning the terminals, making sure you got a good connection.

WTF
lets just blame ALL problems on the ******* EGR valve
WTF does this have to do with the starter?

TheMAN said:
WTF
lets just blame ALL problems on the ******* EGR valve
WTF does this have to do with the starter?

well if your carbon build up is bad enough like it was on my car, you start your car and then it stalls or i didnt even start sometimes, i had to rev up like crazy when just starting

PlatinumMSP said:
well if your carbon build up is bad enough like it was on my car, you start your car and then it stalls or i didnt even start sometimes, i had to rev up like crazy when just starting

not the same issue.

cleaning the egr would have no impact on this.

The clicking implies that the starter drive is engaging the flywheel, but not turning it. The most common causes could be bad cables/connection, starter solenoid, or battery. Somewhere, either you aren't getting enough juice to the solenoid or it is drawing to much current to allow it to also spin the flywheel. EGR valve???

Well, my problem was found to be....a defective Optima Battery! 56 days of use, failed load testing. New Optima installed, fired right up.

My siggestion, go to a car parts store with a battery tester, and test the battery out. Mine failed all testing from the beginning.

Yeah, but I have had the Auto Zone Wal mart Kragen s*** batteries that were crap, even the top of the line ones, too.

i did have the factory battery for 3 years, then a borrowed Wal Mart one for a few months before the Optima. Overall, I am happy.

KanseiZM said:
At least it is maintenance free though, unlike the stock panasonic one.

We were supposed to maintain that thing???? I never did a thing to it for 3 years. never even died on me. It was getting slow to crank, so out it went.

Back