Sound upgrade?

kyfe

Hey all Just bought a M3 GT sport loaded and I was thinking of doing a small upgrade to the low end of the sound system.

I'm curious to find out what others have used? I figure based on the size of the car, 1 boxed 10 should do it and about a 2-400 watt amp. I plan on keeping everything stock for now and may upgrade the rest at a later date.

Can anyone recommend a good sub and amp combo for around the 550 range CDN?
So far I've been looking at a Focal 8.5" professionally box with a 300 watt memphis amp.
the other option is JL audio 10W (0 or 3) with a JL amp as well.

for me SQ is a bit more important and since i'm using a factory deck I know there might be some issues I haven't considered.

Suggestions/feedback are greatly appreciated,

thanks
Kyfe

Hi

Well I know I will be putting in a 760w amp with a 600w 12" sub (both pioneer) when i get mine. I had it in my 2000 626 it it was very loud and sounded great.

I cost me about 750cdn installed at best buy where I got it and they do a great job. That was 1 year ago. I took it there the other day for them to take it out and they only charged me 50 bucks. I will take it back to them when I get my 3 to install the same again. I think they are having a sale on car audio right now but not sure. I recommended them anyways.

I do have a question. I heard the 3 has pre-outs in the stock radio is that true? I know my 626 did?

thanks for the heads up canada3,
I went to best buy they had 2 10's JBL and a 300 watt amp for 560+, I gave it a listen and it really didn't impress me much.

I'm really looking for something to compliment the factory sound for now but also something i would always be able to use.

Would those be the pioneer premier line?

good luck with your new car purchase I'll keep you posted if i find out in fact if the deck has pre outs. I was at kromer radio yesterday and the rep says it's not very likely but he reallt had no clue concerning this model car.

nate0123 said:
I have a 10W3 dual 4-ohm for sale, $50

if you lived in toronto we could talk, but honestly by the time that got to me I could have bought a new one here for the price after duty and shipping.

I notice you have ED speakers... how do they compare to the JL's?

Kyfe

kyfe said:
thanks for the heads up canada3,
I went to best buy they had 2 10's JBL and a 300 watt amp for 560+, I gave it a listen and it really didn't impress me much.
I had 2 10" JBLs in my contour, and they were total crap :D

kyfe said:
if you lived in toronto we could talk, but honestly by the time that got to me I could have bought a new one here for the price after duty and shipping.

I notice you have ED speakers... how do they compare to the JL's?

Kyfe
The JLs are great speakers, but for the money you get a lot more from ED

I'm still breaking in the new 12A, so I haven't really heard what it can do, but I don't have a doubt that it will put 2 10w3s to shame :)

I've heard good things about their K-series as well, and those would work well with a smaller amp

I do live in the t-dot.........ya the amp is mosfet 760w and the pioneer sub is...hmm not sure still in the garage...but ti was the best one pioneer had at the time.

cool thanks for the input.

alot of ppl seem to love ED speakers especially those concerned with SQ. I can't find anywhere in Canada that sells them though, so I may have to cave and just get the JL or the Focal.
The JL's have a good rep as for the Focal's I can't find anyone with an experience with the brand although they look really ace.

Kyfe

well i have either had pioneer or sony products in my cars and I have gotten compliments from everyone about how good it all sounds....it also depends on what style of music you like to listen to the most. I prefer rock so I get a nice sounding bass from the sub....

kyfe said:
cool thanks for the input.

alot of ppl seem to love ED speakers especially those concerned with SQ. I can't find anywhere in Canada that sells them though, so I may have to cave and just get the JL or the Focal.
The JL's have a good rep as for the Focal's I can't find anyone with an experience with the brand although they look really ace.

Kyfe
they're an internet-sales-only company, so that's probably why you can't find any stores ;)

http://www.edesignaudio.com/

canada3 said:
well i have either had pioneer or sony products in my cars and I have gotten compliments from everyone about how good it all sounds....it also depends on what style of music you like to listen to the most. I prefer rock so I get a nice sounding bass from the sub....
pioneer > sony

never heard of ed before? where are they based outta.....if they are american the dont make good products like the japanese due to there large hands...lol j/k

well my sub shipped out from Iowa... I believe that is where they're based

Big up for ED from here.. I have an ED sub and it plays well (esp. after I ported it). The value can't be beat!

They are based out of Iowa, US-assembled. They manually check and test each sub before shipping out.

They have had problems with their supplier recently, who's been dropping the ball on certain parts. So they are looking for a different one right now. What this means is that certain models may be out of stock for a while.

I hear that the O-series models (their ultimate SQ sub) is going to be in stock for a while though.

This system is sick...already bumpin', but still working on the finishing touches.

Front Speakers:
Infinity Kappa 60.5 CS 6.5" components

Rear Speakers:
Infinity Kappa 63.5 3-way 6.5"

Subwoofers:
(2) Infinfity Kappa 100.1 SE 10"

Speaker Amp:

JL Audio 300/4 75 watts x 4

Sub Amp: (I need a better one, but I got this cheap)

MTX 4300X bridged to 150 x 2

Additionally, I am using a 1 farad cap and lots of nice wiring and terminals. All wires are either black, blue, or silver. (With the excption of the leads for the door speakers)

I am installing everything myself and have so far completed a fiberglass box in the spare tire well with an amp rack behind that. I just hooked everything up and tested all of the equipment. Other than some alternator whine, everything is great. Once I figure that out, I will finish the install by covering the enclosure and fitting an acrylic window over the amps and subs with blue neon lights. Vinyl will cover everything underneath the acrylic while the exposed box will be carpeted.

It is louder than I can stand...and there is no distortion

I'll get some pics up soon enough

I have a stock 6-disc system in my M3, and added only the Infinity Basslink. I listen to a wide range of stuff (Annihilator/ Pantera to country to Eric Johnson) and couldn't be happier with the Infinity. Remote level control is a nice feature, the box is small, and installation is straightforward. Next is to replace the stock paper speakers, but it will have to warm up first. The Basslink is highly recommended by me. It really adds a new dimension to the sound.

I have a basslink in my car (not a mazda 3, yet) and I second it. its small, amp and sub in one box, and if you are just looking to complement the stock system, it will do the job well with a minimum of fuss and expense.

if your looking at focal. u must truly be a sq guy. focal makes very quality gear. it won't have the spl of the ed but the quality will be there. i havnt dealt with an 8 lately but personally for a better low end i'd shoot for at least a 10.

Speaker and Amp Upgrades & Connect a Creative Jukebox

Just got my 3 5 door tonight. Would like to upgrade the speakers with infinities and maybe a basslink woofer. Anyone out there have an opinion on if an amp is necessary?

Also, I think a jukebox (not the Kenwood system) but the Creative Jukebox portable MP3 player would be absolutely ideal to hookup. It's small, holds 20-40GB of music, doubles as a portable hard drive, and it's portable. I can take it anywhere. Now, anyone have any ideas about how to hook that into the stock system?

Cheers.

P

Back