Sound Quality Vs Loudness

JEB83

:
2003 Black Protege
I just wanted some opinions on what speaker setups (Brands, power ratings etc...) would give high quality sound as opposed to loud sounds...NB: I use my car for work...loudness not really practical for me...

Cheers

"Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one and they all stink.:p"

With that said, I love my 6.5"Focal Polykevlar comps. Some people will tell you that the Focal highs are too harsh, but I like the highs nice 'n bright. :)

IMO, the best bet is to go to a car-audio dealer and listen for yourself. Most good ones will have an audition room so you can try different combos of speaker, amp and HU.

Have fun! (rockon)

Don't want to spend no more than $2000.00AUD. THe exchange rate to USD is .70 or something.

Focal , CDT , new Elemental Design components would all do the trick. You will of course need a new head unit, amplifiers etc, if you did not already know that. Check the Audio FAQ.

JEB83 said:
Don't want to spend no more than $2000.00AUD. THe exchange rate to USD is .70 or something.
$1400 USD for just the speakers?
There are dozens of quality speaker brands to choice from.
Natey's right, the best way to make this decision is to go and listen to as many speakers and setups as you can. Everyones ear is different and will like different speakers. Check out the FAQ thread in this section for a basic list of some reputable speaker brands.

Last edited:
Bostons are yummy as well..

Are you talking about a whole stereo system or just speakers? Basically if your'e talking fulls ystem, I'd not go too crazy power-wise on a sub, just get a nice clean 10 or so. and amp it moderately. but push some good power to your fronts. and spend some $ on your front speakers if you have to to get the ones that sound right to you.

I would like to say my infinitiy componets sound great. But some people think they are ho hum here, but yea, just listen to them in a store. JL are also solid speakers.

I have infinity kappa 5x7's and they sound great... very clear and they have crossovers for tweeter and woofer. I dont even use the bass much though...that is handled by my sub :D

I toohav ekappa 5x7's and while I can personally attest to their durability (I've been pushing just shy of 200w to them for a couple months now) I cannot say taht I really like their sound. They were intended to be a cheap means of buying time whiel I made a better decision, and the horrible part is now that i know better I hate hearing them mroe and more... Mindyou my stereo blows away all of my friends and whatnot, but personally to me, ick at the moment That's what I get for going and listening and hearing all sortsa better speakers.... As far as the outboard crossovers go, I'm not 100% positive, but I'm fairly certain that the "crossovers" supplied are simply a larger more-power-capable "cap" for tweeter protection. and do nothing to frequencies played by the midrange part.

jeb83 what are u looking at running, your saying loudness isnt' and issue, does this mean youlle be running them off the headunits power or will u be amping them? are you looking for truly high end, or just better then stock, and is that money just for the speakers , or the whole setup.

If you want a really good sound quality setup.. here is what I would suggest.

Zapco C2K9.0XD Competition amp $2100
Zapco C2K6.0X Competition amp $1500
Zapco SymbiLink $200
DLS Iridium 3-ways $1000? (not sure)
1 12" IDmax sub $450
Alpine CDA-7998 head unit $800
Alpine PXA-H700 processor $800
Optima Yellowtop $150

$7000 + wiring/install and you have yourself a pretty sick SQ setup :)

I dont think they make the alpine cda-7998 anymore...i could be wrong but i think their product #'s are in the 9's now.

Oh.. either way, just one of their top cd players will do. The processor does most of the EQ'ing anyways.

Actually they might....but for $500 u can get a nice selection of alpines....which imo is the nicest sq HU...hands down...even if it is amped.

akhilleus said:
I dont think they make the alpine cda-7998 anymore...i could be wrong but i think their product #'s are in the 9's now.
Your right it was discoed last year. What a POS by the way. The broke constantly. The CDA9835 is a superior replacement and the best unless you want to find an CDA-7990 for $3000

Sorry.. I was trying to figure out which one my friend had by the pictures on the Alpine website, and I must've picked the wrong one lol. hmm he might have one from the DVA line. *shrugs*

If that were me buying a $7,000, I sure as hell wouldn't put an alpine on it unless it was the CDA-7990, those are pimp. I think I'd go with Clarion's newest model, which should be sweet, I haven't heard it yet. I'm just not an alpine guy....the bandwagon is a little full. IMO.

Back