Sound like its gunna blow up! Bad Valves?

:
Yellow 2003.5 MSP!
A couple of people say it sounds like the valves one of my mechanics said it sounded like valves but he's a VW expert so he said to get more opinions. I took a video of it here is the link on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBujKjtYUgk

You'll notice it sounds louder on the left side more so than the right and it sounds even worse in person!

Go to the autoparts and get a mechanics stethoscope to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from the topend from the valves or the bottom end from a bent piston rod. Either way it is definately an internal engine problem that needs professional help.

Go to the autoparts and get a mechanics stethoscope to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from the topend from the valves or the bottom end from a bent piston rod. Either way it is definately an internal engine problem that needs professional help.

Thank you, that's actually exactly what i wanted to hear. I needed a real good reason to justify why i need to be lazy and spend money taking it to a shop rather than doing it myself. Ill probably take it to the dealer and pay the extra $$$ just to get it done right.

Last edited:
oh, and if it is blown, welcome to the zoom zoom boom club.

<--member #36

Well, when i had bottom end problems (rod bearings) it sounded like it was coming from the top of the engine, and obviously it wasn't... But you can take like a 3/4 extension and put it to your ear and then touch different parts of the engine and the noise should get louder where the problem is... It does sound like possible rod bearings to me tho from oil starvation. If oil doesn't hit those bearings for 2 seconds while hard driving it can happen. Good luck with whatever you find out. But like the guys say drop the oil pan and the windage tray to get at the crank and rods, and look for any flakes of metal in your oil as well when you drain.

Take a look on your pulleys if they are hitting something i got the same sound thanks to my f?#%& medieval crank pulley

yep I agree sounds like rod bearing mine did it to me 2 years ago which means if thats what it is you'll have to get the crank journal machined to except oversized bearings or have to order a new crank if its to bad and replace that rod and bearings. also did you change that timing belt if so the plastic timing belt cover might be hitting one of the pulleys which makes almost the same sound. One other thing you will have to remove the tranny to get the windage tray off (sandwich plate) because there is two litte 10mm bolts running vertically behind the flywheel directly into the windage tray, ya its and extremely bad design flaw, but it won't come off until you take those two out.

Last edited:
That windage tray with the 2 hidden bolts are ridiculous.... That was a major pain. But you don't necessarily need to machine the crank.. My bearings were going bad but i did not spin a bearing so i was ok and the crank looked good. But you can either separate the tranny from the engine or drill 2 holes in the bell housing.

lol no no no don't drill two holes in the bell housing that's the last thing you want is water draining from plugs leaking onto your flywheel clutch and pressure plate where friction is key...bad idea don't mean to hate on your idea its just it will possibly ruin other things in the process.

That's just what Ken from protege garage told me to do. But yea thats what i did, then used this jb weld putty to fill the small holes in.

Damn sounds like im gunna have garage day haha! Im gunna go check it out right now. Thanks for the help everyone! You know who you are.

Last edited:
Problem Solved! So what happened is the timing belt tensioner went bad and the spring popped of (found it lodged in the alternator) which caused the timing belt too have to much slack and all the extra slack kept slapping against the timing belt cover causing that sound.

Back