Sound card for guitar input?

Dexter

Banned
Contributor
hey any of you audio guys, im looking to get something to input my guitar into my PC and do some recording, effects, whatever.

i was looking at these two:

M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio Audiophile 2496

I like the 44 because of the breakout box, and i can easy plug my guitar into the input and then to the amp on the outputs.

also, i need at least TWO inputs, for the way im going to be running my guitar, i am running two outputs, one for each pickup.

in addition, id like ASIO compatible drivers. F latency.

Any suggestions for other brands (i know Audigy2 is ASIO compatible also...) or comments on these models?

thanks

i've used my mic input and used one of those line-in/line-out size converters (i.e. 1/4" to 1/8") and plugged in my guitar. sounded okay. i just used soundforge to record the sound and changed the effects after recording. i'm not too knowledgeable about real-time effects

yeah, i played with that last night, sound quality is ass. its quiet as hell and not clear at all. plus realtime effects were super delayed. (non ASIO drivers ~ at least 50ms, plus it was onboard sound, so that probably effected it also.)

I actually have the 44 in my other machine. I use to use it for my turn tables, and keyboard. My friend has it as well for his acoustic. It works pretty great. But I have upgraded to the pro-tools card. If you want excellence then i would go for that. Thr card can be had for around 300, and just torrent the app. I love it would go back to nothing else.

I make all my own music for are flash designs, so thats the only reason i have it.

nah, dont need excellence, the 44 will do.

works pretty great? haha. i take it then its worth the money?

Yup its worth the money. It worked great until protools came along, then it didnt because i never used it. I think I actually might put the 44 in the carputer

Agreed; get the 44 - I have the 2496 and it won't support what you need out of the box as readily as the 44.

BTW Bryan, do you know of any drummers? My buddy's band is looking for a south side drummer (say age 21 to 31?). Heavy influences of death and black metal (as of late) as well as Perfect Circle/Tool'ish product...

my bro-in-law has this program for his computer.. i forget what it's called... i'll find out, but he can put a line from his guitar to his comp.. and this program can pretty much replicate any amp on the market or pedal or effect of his choice. and it sounds amazing

Dimitrios said:
Agreed; get the 44 - I have the 2496 and it won't support what you need out of the box as readily as the 44.

BTW Bryan, do you know of any drummers? My buddy's band is looking for a south side drummer (say age 21 to 31?). Heavy influences of death and black metal (as of late) as well as Perfect Circle/Tool'ish product...

cool dimitrios thanks for the input. you use garageband for apple, right?

and yeah, my brother is a drummer. he pretty much learned on Tool/APC. Hes probably the best drummer i know (not just becuase hes my brother or anything), but i dont know if hes interested in being in a band, ill ask him though.

Back