Sore arms... Just made rank

Leppy

:
1990 300ZX Twin Turbo 5-speed
Finally got to pin on my Staff Sergeant stripe... but holy crap is my arm SORE! I've got a bruise the size of a baseball on my right arm. Left arm is slowly starting to turn blue.

I just had to pick two big guy's to pin it on.... The pains of working in a Maintenance career field in the Air Force.

Just thought I'd share.

A tradition in the enlisted Air Force is to 'pin' on stripes when you make rank. Everybody who knows you who out-ranks you is allowed to 'ensure the stripes stay on the sleeves.'

Needless to say, I made rank and my arms hurt like hell right now...

Leppy, Congratulations! I started smiling when I read the thread title. You said your a/c maint. I'm guessing on the Buffs given your location. Am I right? A guy over here at Osan just made Staff so I had the priveledge of making sure his new rank stayed on. Congrats again.

The locations right, but I'm actually Comm/Antenna maintenance.. the grunt work of the communication field.

nice. what is a staff sergeant in the air force, E5 right?

your lucky. in the army, they dont put the brass fittings on the back of your rank, and they pound the rank witht he two spikes on each one into your flesh until it sticks there and bleeds.

least, thats what they do in COMBAT ARMS jobs (wink)

yeah, E-5 SSgt

it used to be like that back in the Army Air Core before it sprang into the Air Force.. but now it's 'hazing' and s***... eh, saves me the bandages i guess

nice. i made my SGT (E5) a little over a year ago, its a nice feeling.

anyhow, congrats!

thanx.. I'm just not looking forward to the paperwork involved in getting a troop. I don't wanna write performance reports... but on the bright side, I get paid more for doing less work :)

Leppy said:
thanx.. I'm just not looking forward to the paperwork involved in getting a troop. I don't wanna write performance reports... but on the bright side, I get paid more for doing less work :)

damn, great outlook :rolleyes:

i had 12. remember youre an NCO now, and your job is to take care of them.. please dont look at it as a pay increase and more (or less, aka shamming) work.

well, when you have a shop of only 12 people.. which most are deployed... (we're currently working the entire base comm maintenance off of 5 people) The only reason I have the one troop I have now is because his original supervisor is deployed.

With my current workload, putting on a stripe did nothing for me that I wasn't already doing with Senior Airman. I just get paid more and get more recognition for doing it now.

Maybe if I PCS to a larger workcenter i'd feel the difference more.

and by 'less work' just means i'm not the one cleaning the shop on fridays and getting muddy down in the splice pits.. I can have an Airman do it for me... :)

my arm...

arm%20001.jpg

(usa)

Back