So... emissions is coming up.... Will a 01-03 Protege exhaust fit an MSP?

Chad92

Contributor
:
2003 MSP
Herro Every body! After I got done doing the engine transplant on my car I realized that I would soon have to go through an emissions test. I bought the car bolted to a straight pipe with a magnaflow muffler welded to the end on the 2.5 inch tubing. I do not believe this car would even remotely comply with any of the emission regulations, so I was wondering if I could bolt up an exhaust from a N/A protege (01-03 of coarse) just to get through the emissions test? So in short, Will an N/A protege exhaust bolt up to an MSP without to much fiddling?

are you getting the cats? The stock protege has that funny cat at the mani The turbo wouldnt work..

buy a high flow cat and have it welded in. itll pass emissions that way. wont affect performance by much or at all and you can forget about it instead of buying and fitting a stock midpipe on every time for emissions. a high-flow cat may cost u around the same as a CORRECT stock midpipe to fit in

I am planning on buying the exhaust from the j-pipe back.... all i need is an exhaust that is cheap, has a cat, and is not as loud as a 90's Harley so I can impress the green folk at the emissions stand. The straight pipe I have now is a single piece from the turbo-J-pipe back.

And I found a stock 2002 protege 2.0 exhaust (with cat) for $75. So I just need to know if it will fit. I have to do emissions every two years so i do not mind switching the exhausts out once every 48 months...

Last edited:
buy a high flow cat and have it welded in. itll pass emissions that way. wont affect performance by much or at all and you can forget about it instead of buying and fitting a stock midpipe on every time for emissions. a high-flow cat may cost u around the same as a CORRECT stock midpipe to fit in

+1

Alright, I guess Ill do the high flow cat. but will a protege exhaust even fit from the J-Pipe back?

do u have the stock downpipe still on your msp? if u do, MAYBE itll fit, not sure since ive never tried but they both should have the same 3 bolt flange where they bolt up to the downpipe

Back