Snow Rims and Tires?

MRTURBO

I have a 2007 MS6 and I want a set of black steel rims and winter tires. I've heard that a 16" rim will not clear the brake calipers, can anyone confirm this?

If I go with a 17" black steel rim, what size of tire would you guys recommend?

Thanks Everyone, it's great to find this forum, I just joined today.

I will confirm that there is absolutely no way you will fit 16" steel rims over your front calipers. I just put 17 black steelies with winter tires on my car last week. The best match to stock size is 215/50/R17. Your speedo will read .6% too fast.

Tire Calculator

There are a couple pics on my car domain (found in my sig) if you wanna see how they look. I'm betting you have about 3/16" clearance between your caliper and rims. I don't have a close up photo, but trust me, it's tight man.

CalgaryMS6, you posted 1 minute before me :)
Where did you get steelies and for how much a piece?

Haha, yeah, I was just about to say...

"jinx, you owe me a beer!"

My uncle runs a tire shop, so I got the set (tires on rims) for $620 taxes in. So probably not a great reference for you.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys. Someone at a local tire place was trying to sell me 16" rims and tires and claimed they would fit no problem, I'm glad I checked first.

My mazda dealership told me I can fit 16's on my MS6 and they were going to sell me a set but the price wast too high for me. Why would they tell me this if it isn't true ?

My mazda dealership told me I can fit 16's on my MS6 and they were going to sell me a set but the price wast too high for me. Why would they tell me this if it isn't true ?
Rule of thumb - rims can usually go one size smaller with no problem.
Replacement tires should be within 3% of the size of the tires they replace to ensure braking and handling characteristics are not comprimised.
Here's a good link for comparing tire sizes:
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp
Brake clearance problems can occur when you try going two sizes smaller !
ie: !5" rims on a car that has 17" rims, 16" rims on a car that has 18" rims.
Offset is another important factor to consider when comparing alloy wheels.
It can be most confussing ! (flash)

Compare your MS6 stock tire size (P215/50R17 ?) with the P205/60R16, and as long as it's within 3% of the stock size (. . . which it is), you should be OK !
If you have P215/45R18 wheels, then that tire is still OK as a replacement, but the 16" rims will not clear the brake calipers. (dunno)

Last edited:
It is within the 3% but now there's people saying that they wont clear the calipers so I dont know what to believe. I would like to think my dealer is right and that 16's will fit but I'm not to fond of my Mazda dealer and they seem somewhat incompetent (it took them 2 days to get back to me with pricing and options for winter tires) so now I'm just not sure.Is there anyone out there with 16" winter rims and tires on their MS6 ?

What size are your stock wheels, 17" or 18" ?
I hate Mazda dealers too, and try to avoid them at all costs !
I put 16"s M5 rims on my M3 Sport GT (that came with 17"s), and did a lot of research on tires,
but I'm definetly not an expert ! (2thumbs)

Attachments

• HPIM1389 (2).jpg
    HPIM1389 (2).jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
So will 205/60R16's fit on my MS6 or not ? If not then I have to start searching for tires all over again.

Holy crap, I already asked this question in my original post and it's been answered like 3 or 4 times for you....you blind?

Now I have to ask my question again:

Does anyone know if 215/55/17's are ok to use on 17" steelies? These will be going on my 2007 MS6.

Thanks Guys

Holy crap, I already asked this question in my original post and it's been answered like 3 or 4 times for you....you blind?

Now I have to ask my question again:

Does anyone know if 215/55/17's are ok to use on 17" steelies? These will be going on my 2007 MS6.

Thanks Guys

Thanks for the concern with my eyesight ***hole but when a message board says one thing and my Mazda dealer tells me another I do get a little confused with who to believe, so feel free to take a long walk off a short pier.

Thanks for the concern with my eyesight ***hole but when a message board says one thing and my Mazda dealer tells me another I do get a little confused with who to believe, so feel free to take a long walk off a short pier.

Not referring to your eyesight, I'm referring to your stupidity LOL

Last edited:
I'm stupid because my dealer told me I could put 16's on my ms6 and that I read differently on here and wanted 100% clarification on the subject before I went out and wasted my money on tires and rims I wouldn't be able to use ?
Interesting theory on stupidity.

Back