sneaky fu**in' leak

racer x 3

:
mazda 3 s winning blue
fluid malfunction!?

so i'm leaking coolant... dirty nasty coolant. simple enough right? WRONG.

i have pinned down a possible origin, but it seems strange to me. picture this:

you have the little white plastic resevoir... look just to the right: there is a chunky silver/grey 3 sided square brace thing... now look just under that: you should see a sliver round piece (mostly like a donut) with two bolts coming out of it...with a circular piece of rubber inside (like the donut hole)..... its molded/welded to the motor....perhaps this is a motor mount???

the underside of this piece (where you see like a 2.5 inch black horizontal bar) is where the leak looks to be coming from... from where the rubber meets more metal,dripping all down the frame and onto the splash shield at the bottom of the bay.

its really dirty by the time it leaves the part in question... the only thing giving it away as coolant is the smell.

your thoughts? have you experienced this?(uhm)

thanks guys... forgive my ignorance...

my.php

Last edited:
...or at least, lets name that component.... prolly not a motor mount... frustrated...

my.php
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
get it checked under warranty...if its out of warranty, take the antifreeze reservoir off and see if you can locate the source of leakage.

MM3Canuck said:
get it checked under warranty...if its out of warranty, take the antifreeze reservoir off and see if you can locate the source of leakage.
thanks for the reply man... i appreciate it; yeah, just gonna get it checked out on wednesday.

by any chance, can you identify that sort of circular component i mentioned? if nothing else, just for my own edification. looks like nothing to me but nothing is nothing.

the motor mounts are oil filled....odds are thats whats leaking....and when they do, they make a big mess.....

Azi said:
the motor mounts are oil filled....odds are thats whats leaking....and when they do, they make a big mess.....

you know, that thought had crossed my mind.... makes a lot of sense. can anyone confirm this?

Rotus8 said:
I can confirm that the black rubber round thing is indeed your motor mount.

cool, thnks.... this "leak" aint too too bad afterall i suppose (better than i though anyway)......

your thoughts on the fluid filled-ness of it?

the motor mount is broken, it is a common problem on ALL 04 mazda3s due to a faulty design... a TSB was released along with an updated motor mount to correct this problem... warranty should cover this part and should take no more than 1 hour to correct

looking to get it squared away by this weekend's auto-cross....

dammit, not gonna happen, AGAIN......

aces man.... well,not good news, but thanks for the info... that was a growing hunch of mine.

you think this is something my dealer will have on hand because its a known issue and will help expedite the whole ordeal quicker?

then i'll shut up, ha..

Back