Smyth76's P5 Build

smyth76

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum ive been reading for a while and finally decided to start posting today! I bought a P5 in late January 2013, i plan to do a few mods on it(valve cover, intake, etc..the usual) but im still waiting for the weather to warm up, i do all my work outside. Here's some pictures from the first day i bought it!
343hxf4.jpg

10gmbg5.jpg

(sorry about the sideways pics lol, couldnt figure out how to rotate them)

The only mods i've done to my car so far are, i put a Kenwood stereo in it, and i plasti-dipped the rear valence earlier today. No pics of the stereo yet, but here's a few of the bumper!

95ugcl.jpg

Before...

6plsfd.jpg

After!

I also painted my mazda, and protege5 badges black, but i havent put them back on the car yet i need to get some glue, here's a pic of the finished badges though.

9u3wbo.jpg

I'll be painting both the mazda emblems for my car black as well, i just haven't had time to pry them off yet! Over all I'm pretty happy with the progress on my car, i hope to become an active member here both in my thread and enjoying everyone else's work!

Here's a little list of all the mods i want to do/have done to my car, this'll sort of be my own way of keeping track! I'll update it as i go.

TO DO
[ ] Paint valve cover red
[ ] Injen cold air intake
[ ] install Halogen head lights
[sorta] blackout emblems
[ ] plasti-dip interior pieces
[ ] install 12" sub and amp
[ ] upgrade door speakers
[ ] 3M headlight restoration
[ ] clean up engine bay
[ ] rear wiper delete
[ ] change interior lights over to LEDs
[ ] eBay exhaust
[ ] fix rust on quarter panels and hatch
[ ] Sick Speed red stubby antenna
[ ] lower
[ ] tint windows
[ ] Sick Speed red oil cap

DONE
[sorta] blackout emblems
[x] upgrade to aftermarket stereo
[x] plasti-dip rear valance

Last edited:
It could, i honestly have no clue haha, by halogen, i just mean some white light bulbs, i want to do away with the soft white ones. I may even retro fit it for HIDs, not sure yet!

Evening ladies and gents, I've got some exciting news! I ordered an Injen cold air intake off ebay today, so once thats here ill be putting it in asap! And also, some pictures!

1z5t8ut.jpg

Here's my Kenwood stereo! Nothing special, but she gets the job done, all i wanted was an aux jack so i could plug my iphone in.

2zf8mso.jpg

Probably the best mod ill ever do to my car..hahah, kind of an inside joke with my buddies here. I usually drink atleast one Nos a day, we saw these at CT and i couldnt resist buying them!

I'm gonna try to get out in the next few days and finish blacking out my emblems and do the headlight restore, expect pictures!

Hi, I also bought the exact same protege 5 last january although I have all lot more rust in the rear quarters. What's your plan to fight the rust?

Hi, I also bought the exact same protege 5 last january although I have all lot more rust in the rear quarters. What's your plan to fight the rust?

Hey man, thanks for stopping by! I was actually thinking about this today, I'm hoping to get out to my sisters house this week and get started on sanding it down and putting some fibre glass on there, her old integra was more rust than car by te time she sold it so I'm enlisting her help lol.

Hey guys, any suggestions on what to use to stick my emblems back on with? I was thinking 3m double sided tape? Yay or nay?

I know people that have used that silicone rubber adhesive stuff with relatively good results. I don't know how the 3M tape would hold up. If you wanna do it that way, it probably can't hurt to try.

Finally got the badges ive blacked out back on! I used trim mounting tape that i picked up at my local Canadian Tire.

Before
dy2fqv.jpg

2w49u7s.jpg

After
28krrs5.jpg

2iifvoo.jpg

mj2vpy.jpg

I'll be doing the Mazda emblems on my next day off hopefully! Still waiting for my CAI to come in the mail, but that'll be in asap. Also my sister told me shes thinking about taking one of her 12" subs out of her car and giving it to me(rockon)

Last edited:
SO! I was all excited about putting my emblems on, and enjoying how nice my car looks from behind BUT THEN....on my drive home from the gym...my car lost all power and stalled out on the hill i live on...long story short, my alternator is fried, doesnt hold the slightest charge. I'll be going out tomorrow morning to buy one, but does anyone know the easiest/most hassle free way to change an alternator on this car?? any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

The blacked out emblems look great. Thinking about doing that on my Pro5, which is also silver. Let me know how that adhesive holds up. Have you thought about doing the Mazda emblem or are you just sticking with the type badges? Real bummer on the alternator. Hope everything turns out alright.

Thanks man! I will definitely be doing the M's the weather just hasn't been the best lately, the adhesive held on through a hail storm yesterday, so far so good! And yeah, the alternator was definitely an inconvenience, picked up the new one at a small parts store this morning..171$ later, ill be putting er in Friday most likely.

soooo, here's a pic of the new alternator, i was hoping to install it tomorrow morning, but it's snowing again in good ole' Nova Scotia! yaaay, jk. I'm gonna wait and see how the weather progresses, but chances are ill be doing it after work sunday...You can see my mom's Focus' key in the picture, my current ride until MY whip is up and running again. c:

24x41ag.jpg

Let us know how your install goes and which method you use to get the trapped alt out then back into the engine bay.

I'm guessing partially removing the axle shaft from the trans. after unbolting the hanger bearing is the easiest. Our exhausts are probably too rusty to work with. And the top of the engine is too busy.

So, i planned on doing the install after i got off work tonight...but to my surprise, my sister's fiance, who owes me one, popped over and did the install for me while i was at work...whatta guy eh! Needless to say i sent some beers his way lol. I was talking to him about it and he used the very method pcb suggested in the previous post. Here's a picture of the old alt;
14kjoya.jpg

Kinda bummed out that i couldn't be there to help him out, and get my hands dirty but oh well, the cars finally back on the road! :D

Cool,... I'm glad it all worked out. I'll know what to do if happens to me.

(yippy)

Latest posts

Back