SMIC weirdness

:
2003.5 Titanium Gray MSP
Today I installed the Turbohoses SMIC/piping kit. Due to having a Corksport CAI in as well, the BPV-hotpipe fitting pointed directly at the CAI, thus making it impossible to use the silicone tubing that was being used before for the BPV. Being late on Saturday, I used the only tubing I was able to get; a 2-foot section of heater hose from Lowe's. I was forced to run it from the hotpipe, around and under the CAI to the BPV. This is only a temporary fix; I've been told there's a performance place in town where I can get the silicone hose I need. I'm also going to call Turbohoses Monday to see if there's any way I can get the pipe re-welded so the flange points downwards.
I took it for a test run, and have a weird noise. Right when boost kicks in, there's a noise that's like a groaning/grindy type noise. Honestly, it sounds like what happens when air is trying to get around a kink. The temp heater hose has a slight kink in it. The boot connecting the cold pipe to the engine is also a little kinked, it almost seems like it's slightly too long. It's a little crumpled up in the middle. After a few test runs, I noticed that it only makes the noise if I accelerate gently; if I punch it, it doesn't make the noise. I'm thinking it's either one of three things:
1) the slight kink in the heater hose
2) the kink in the boot, or
3) the fact that the hose I'm using is about 2 feet long (I don't know if the length of the BPV hose makes a difference).
There is also the possibility that there is air escaping from one of the other connecting boots, but I don't think so. I've checked them all rather well. Plus I think that would equate to a vacuum leak, and kick the CEL.

Anyone have any words of wisdom that can be offered?
I have a short video of it, I'll see if I can attach it...

Your bpv shouldn't make any noise at all under boost. It's only there to release the pressure when you let off the throttle.

It's always done the "turkey" sound when shifting. That's not anything new, and it isn't the new noise it's making. This new noise kicks in right about when the turbo does, and stops when I shift, right before it "turkeys."

yeah, that is weird. Never heard anything like that before. Definitely try straightening those kinks out and see if that sound goes away

Last edited:
Solved. The Forge BPV (that i just recently installed) was leaking. Put the stock one back in, problem solved. I think the Forge has the wrong spring in it, it's silver instead of blue.

Back