Smart Key Compatability

master44

I have 2007 CX-9 Touring and have had 2 smart keys go bad, one from regualar use and just recently another one accidently went through the wash. I already went through the dealer last time as I know you can't program it yourself with just 1 good key.

My question now is will smart keys for 2008-2009 work with a 2007.

I asked the dealer and they told me they could try programming it for a fee but said they basically didn't know. Before purchasing some keys and wasting $100 to find out I thought I would see if anyone here knows??

The key for the 2007 has 3 buttons, whereas the 2008-2009 looks basically the same but has a trunk button.

Thanks!
Tom

If you have power liftgate, your SmartCard has an extra button.
It has nothing to do with which year's model.

I guess that makes sense, I just assumed that newer models had the power lift gate standard. In any case can you have a smart card with 4 buttons work on a model that doesn't have the lift gate and is there anything different about the smart keys from year to year. Would I be safe using a 2008 4 button smart key on a 2007 without a lift gate?

Thanks!

We're on our second 2007 CX-9 GT AWD (first was totaled). We are using a smartcard from the first car with the second and it has the liftgate button but the new CX-9 doesn't have the power liftgate because it wasn't available at the beginning of production (until early 2007).
Either way, same year, different card still works for us.
Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back