SLS motorsports motormounts

makvli199

:
Mazda Protege Mp3
Has anybody bought these mounts because soon i will have to replace mine and i just read the description and was impressed i just want to know if the information on the correct and also looking for some opinions.

Everyone raves about them, but you just don't hear about it as much because AWR is so much more popular/available right now. If that's what you really want, I doubt you'll have any regrets...

I think the awr's for our cars didnt spend much time in the R&D department, I reckon that it does its job tho

I have no problem with the front but broke the aluminum bracket on the side mount with my sport auto daily driver. Several others had this happen according to SLS & one person posted up about even breaking the steel replacement bracket on theirs. Newer ones should come with steel bracket from what I read. I'm still waiting on the replacement steel bracket for mine. I just put the oem back on since it wasn't bad. Just thought I'd give ya the heads up on that. Here's a thread with some more info & there's yet more in the vendor review thread for SLS in here. The links are: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123665513&highlight=SLS & http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123655626

OK, got the new replacement bracket for the side mount today. Came with some blah blah blah saying original piece failed due to being overtightened. It says : "Part failure due to bolt over torque. Torque bolts to 42-45 max ft lb. Use locktite on upperbolt and nut. Lock washers may also be used. Torque to 38-40 max ft lb if using lock washers". OK I have questions: All 5 bolts/nuts (2 on motor, 2 on frame & 1 thru mount) all same torque specs? Why were these instructions not included when originally purchased if reasonably tight without trying to break the bolt wasn't good enough? It should've been if it's this sensitive. I used a 3/8 drive without a cheater bar to tighten them up & I am not a weight lifter so no excessive torque was used. Just reasonable force applied with a reasonable sized non-impact ratchet/socket. Hell it wasn't even a 6 point socket. Can you say rounded off head with excessive torque or broken bolt or cracked socket? I didn't tighten them as tight as the oem was either. Thanks for the replacement part & no thanks on the csi disclaimer attempt. Do future customers a favor & include that mess with new parts. Dealerish sounding assumptions & less than appropriate material choice to begin with FTL. Someone that hasn't been turning bolts for 40 years & doesn't know the difference between loose, tight & overtight based on size & material application might actually believe that. It's not that the instructions are necessarily flawed, just the assumptions in the analysis.

My SLS mounts just got delivered a few minutes ago, can't wait to install them tonite. Not sure if there is a difference in the bracket that broke but mine feels like aluminum, very lite weight.

Update... mounts are in! Feels good, a little vibration but not excessive. shifting from Park to Drive feels very positive, even got a little wheel spin in the garage. I'm going to keep an eye on that bracket between the engine an the mount, not too comfortable with it, especially compared to the factory cast iron peice.

Overall a nice upgrade, well worth the $$$.

Last edited:
I got mine this week and installed them tuesday, I'm actually getting quite a bit of vibration in idle, but man does the car feel GOOD, no more lashing in 1st gear, I like the tight feel of the car now.

Back