Slow to start

Hey guys, new P5 owner here - I've noticed that when I start the car, cold or warm, it takes 6-7 audible 'cranks' to fire up. Most cars I've driven have been quick to fire once the ignition is turned on, usually 2-3 cranks. Is it normal for the P5 to turn over that much before starting, or could I be in the market for a new battery? Thanks!

Hey guys, new P5 owner here - I've noticed that when I start the car, cold or warm, it takes 6-7 audible 'cranks' to fire up. Most cars I've driven have been quick to fire once the ignition is turned on, usually 2-3 cranks. Is it normal for the P5 to turn over that much before starting, or could I be in the market for a new battery? Thanks!

Time for a new battery. There's a good chance you still have the original one in there. Replaced mine last year and it's starts anytime my hand gets near the ignition.

Cranks at what I would consider a normal pace. Doesn't sound like a weak crank or anything, just takes longer than anything I've driven before. Battery sounds likely to me, but no dimming of lights or anything as I would expect.

First thing is have your battery checked out with a "load test".

If all is well, keep in mind that cranking power of a battery drops when its 32 degrees or colder. If you battery is good and your cranking power is good, then you may want to check your wire that goes to your starter and if nothing else upgrade it.

I have a "whipmy autoparts battery" and my starter cranks slow as well. Im upgrading the entire electrical system in the next few weeks, by installing a red top optima battery, and upgrading all my charging wires to at least 4ga wire, and im going to add a 2nd optima in the back, cause im going to be adding a complete stereo system, with a carPC in the next few months.

Back