Slow acceleration sometimes

thejash

:
2003 Protege 5
Hello,

For the past several few months my car has been acting up from time to time. When accelerating between 1000-2000 rpm the car has very little power, but only sometimes. I would say the car operates perfectly about 60% of the time which is making pinpointing the issue very difficult. The engine is completely stock 2.0L except for a CAI which I installed because the stock system was falling apart. I have checked the CAI for leaks several times and couldn't find anything wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Josh

Is it throwing any CEL codes? Are your rear brakes hanging up enough to hold the car back? Does the engine rev freely in neutral/park?

It does have a cel, i will check the code tomorrow. The cel has been on since before this started cropping up. Other than this though the car runs great. Its an interesting thought on the breaks, it seems like the pitch of the motor changes when it has the problem almost seems as if it dosent rev as fast.

Clean MAF? or EGR needing cleaning? The cat going bad could make the motor act all stuffy but would make a weird smell tho. Need to read the code.

idk if its the same, but sometimes mine feels jumpy and just wantes to go, but then other times it seems laggy and i need to give it more power to get it going.

02proto159 yea that is exactly what it feels like. I have the new "canadian" version of the EGR valve and its only about a year old so I don't think it's that. I'm still at work and got free tickets to the Red Wings game tonight (woo hooo :D) so I wont be able to check the code tonight.

So I finally got around to checking the CEL code and it's a P0172. I'm going to try cleaning the MAF and air filter and see if it helps. I'm hoping a simple cleaning will do the job and it's not something more expensive like the fuel injectors etc.

Just an update that the cleaning worked. Cleared the check engine light and car is running properly again.

Back