Slightly disturbing detail heard today about 2017 and G-vectoring

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
Today, at my trusted dealership the service advisers were all a bit flummoxed at something. Apparently, only recently they started to receive complaints about handling from early 2017 models by certain customers who primarily are commercial drivers - Uber/Lyft/heavy used rentals/taxis (never seen a CX-5 taxi though).
Complaint - suddenly car felt rather light when changing lanes/ramp/etc. and then disappeared. As if the car floated with no steering control.
The advisers were flummoxed due to:
  1. They are unable to simulate in ANY car with same complaint
  2. They could not find any problem via diagnostic tools
  3. Here's the kicker - upon reaching out to Mazda: They were explicitly told to check few things (tests) involving G-vectoring
  4. Here's the 2nd. kicker - upon reaching out to Mazda with whatever they tested (see earlier point) it seems in most cases they told them to replace specific engine mounts if determined based off some tests (they were not discussing what tests - all - why would Mazda ask to check G-vectoring and then mounts?)
  5. They were also talking of some firmwire/fix/etc. but have no idea related to this issue

This caused me to think - these cars in an year traveled twice the usual or more. Is it possible there's something lurking?

Last edited:
Not a whole lot there to think it’s a bigger problem. When they say the complaints are from early ‘17 owners then that implies something is different compared to later ‘17 owners like myself. Tires? A different software or firmware ?

The G Vectoring is supposed to kick in on a turn. Most drivers merge their way into the next lane. Are these drivers making abrupt lane changes this activating G Vectoring? Again, so many variables. As for now I am not worried and I have not had any instance where the car felt floaty or unusual in its handling.

No - they mean those who bought early 2017 and have registering above 20 / 25k miles already on ODO. I interjected and asked "You mean earlier models/build?" They said no. Those @ May -- etc. can't possibly run that many miles..... Let me re-phase: it's when ODO is upwards of 20 / 25 k already within an year... so I don't know if its heavy driving causing ODO or just ODO reaching those #s.

Interestingly, I found something on the Net. Maybe related/un-related and just chanced on it (usually I dont look at comments). Dunno. See the 1st. comment by some user: Inexplicable
BUT - to be fair he seems to have a rather valid, deep insight comment tying into what dealer said? As I don't know (humbly) Anything about power-train thought to float it out for your expertise everyone. PLEASE do NOT take it as a criticism. I truly love my CX-5. If there's another car and forced to buy a different car : then the ONLY SUV I can compare this to (as I regularly drive it) will be a Porche Cayenne/Macan... LOL. Not even the much touted xDrive BMW 5.

Last edited:
Who knows? With all these electronic vehicle control features now available, is there some kind of conflict or unforeseen circumstance happening.

I am posting a link to Thomas from Autogefhl In this video he is reviewing the new Audi A4. As you get past the 30 minute mark or so he starts talking about a quirk that when applying the brakes in wet conditions the car veers left. There is no explanation for it just as there is no explanation for the G vector symptoms brought up here. Thomas makes good points that this is a bit dangerous and surprising coming from Audi.

https://youtu.be/1yWMYKAWp0Y

Last edited:
You know, you have like 5 or so threads on the first page of the lounge, and my god if not every single one of them have sensational sounding titles.

No - they mean those who bought early 2017 and have registering above 20 / 25k miles already on ODO. I interjected and asked "You mean earlier models/build?" They said no. Those @ May -- etc. can't possibly run that many miles..... Let me re-phase: it's when ODO is upwards of 20 / 25 k already within an year... so I don't know if its heavy driving causing ODO or just ODO reaching those #s.

Interestingly, I found something on the Net. Maybe related/un-related and just chanced on it (usually I dont look at comments). Dunno. See the 1st. comment by some user: Inexplicable
BUT - to be fair he seems to have a rather valid, deep insight comment tying into what dealer said? As I don't know (humbly) Anything about power-train thought to float it out for your expertise everyone. PLEASE do NOT take it as a criticism. I truly love my CX-5. If there's another car and forced to buy a different car : then the ONLY SUV I can compare this to (as I regularly drive it) will be a Porche Cayenne/Macan... LOL. Not even the much touted xDrive BMW 5.

I think you should take comments on the internet as a group and not one off. 1st comment says all mazda engine mounts are bad. Second comment says 150k miles on first set. If engine mounts were a mazda flaw, these forums would have threads on this years old.

Rubber components break down over time and due to environmental conditions. But i still dont connect G-vector issues to mounts in my mind. G Vector firmware may need updates though, nothing strange in that, and maybe engine mount is inhibiting some torque transfer, but it does sound odd to be related to lane change.

It would be better to post a full explanation, then partial over heard sound bites. Maybe ask the dealer for a full explanation as he will have to inform the affected customer.

The G Vectoring is supposed to kick in on a turn. Most drivers merge their way into the next lane. Are these drivers making abrupt lane changes this activating G Vectoring? Again, so many variables.

G-Vector kicks in on slight turns, such as lane merge, as well.

Nothing sensational in the title to me, note the word "slightly"

How many complaints? One? Two? Kinda hard to put anything into perspective based on this hearsay.

Ok, examples:

I am seriously worried ... can this happen?
Wow - what sound... what is this?

Just sounds a bit sensational for what the threads turn out to be about. Just an observation. I'll shut up now. :)

Ok, examples:

I am seriously worried ... can this happen?
Wow - what sound... what is this?

Just sounds a bit sensational for what the threads turn out to be about. Just an observation. I'll shut up now. :)

Ah okay. I hope your criticism was done on a +ve sprit. I'll definitely make sure to keep it in mind, in future. Thanks.

How many complaints? One? Two? Kinda hard to put anything into perspective based on this hearsay.

During the discussion it was stated - about 2 to 4. But note: Not many are there reaching +20k/25k within approx. 10 months.

My 2017 CX-5 feels weird when changing lanes and sometimes feels like the steering or alignment isn’t quite right .. turning off lane keep intervention seems to fix this

My 2017 CX-5 feels weird when changing lanes and sometimes feels like the steering or alignment isnt quite right .. turning off lane keep intervention seems to fix this

If you don't use your directional [and lane-keep assist is on] and the car senses you crossing a lane marker, it will try to alert you! If you tap your directional for the 3-blink, it won't react. That's why I turn LKA OFF in town, always ON on the highway.

I have my LDW set for no intervention and no audible alerts. I get the flashing warning in the HUD and that’s enough.

I have my LDW set for no intervention and no audible alerts. I get the flashing warning in the HUD and thats enough.

But that only works if your eyes are open and you're awake! (sleep) (hand) (drive2)

Back