slight steering wheel shake= bad tire balance?

danielschweer

:
'02 protege5
so i recently put on some rx8 wheels (they look amazing btw) and have noticed my steering wheel shakes a little right in between 63-70 mph. my first thought was maybe the tires didnt get balanced quite right. the wheels arent bent and the tires are new.. . is my assessment right?

could be. Normally if a wheel is not balanced correctly, you can feel it before 60 mph, but every wheel is different. Bring it back to the shop who mounted your tires and tell them they didn't balance the tire correctly.

I guess the more worse situation would be after putting new bigger wheels on your car you need an alignment. Maybe?

same thing here, i took it back, then it still vibrated, just not as bad. so i took it to get it aligned, told the guy it might be because i lowered it alot and to check the camber and everything else. everything was good except the alignment. the guy test drove it and it still vibrated. he looked at the tire closely this time and said both of my wheels were facing outward. outcome: my front tires are worn to hell on the inside. get that ish fixed asap. its most likely the alignment, but take it to a shop who wont f u over.

yeah you could also swap the tires front to back, one side at a time then test drive, isolate the offending one. The wheel shake is really just the fronts - an unbalanced back you just kinda feel less but everywhere.

Last edited:
^^i was thinking of doing that. right on. i dont think that swapping out wheels affects the alignment at all. i guess one couldnt hurt though. thanks guys

Back