Slight power loss problem

Nutari

Contributor
:
2010 Mazdaspeed3
When im under 1/4 tank left and I make a hard turn, when I try to accelerate, the car loses all power (kinda like boost cut in a turbo car) and I have to get off the gas for a little bit then it will work fine.

This car was a salvage.

DSCN5782.jpg

Could something have happened to the fuel pickup? I dont want to have to open up the gas tank to look around if its not there.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Eh, I've heard of a few miatas doing this. I wouldn't be too worried about it, just run a bit more fuel. Most miatas can do what you describe well BELOW the E. I regularly autox mine in that condition. But yours isn't the 1st that I've heard of having trouble with it. Don't feel bad, a lot of early civics have trouble with anything below 1/2 tank cornering aggressively.

Eh, I've heard of a few miatas doing this. I wouldn't be too worried about it, just run a bit more fuel. Most miatas can do what you describe well BELOW the E. I regularly autox mine in that condition. But yours isn't the 1st that I've heard of having trouble with it. Don't feel bad, a lot of early civics have trouble with anything below 1/2 tank cornering aggressively.

Any fix for it?

I've got no idea honestly. I've never had the problem, so I haven't really spent much time hunting for answers. I know I've seen the topic come up from time to time on Miata.net, so searching on there in the NA section will likely be your best bet.

I've got no idea honestly. I've never had the problem, so I haven't really spent much time hunting for answers. I know I've seen the topic come up from time to time on Miata.net, so searching on there in the NA section will likely be your best bet.

Oh man. I hate going on there. I feel dirty when I post there.

Oh man. I hate going on there. I feel dirty when I post there.

I'm a newby on Miata.net and haven't had any problems, other than someone who was rude when I first got on. The rest of the guys took care of that. It would be nice if the Miata was designed like the RX-7, in that there is a service hole in the trunk floor that allows one to get to the fuel pump without removing the tank. I don't remember seeing that in the Miata. As one said, it could be a fuel pickup problem, maybe caused by the wreck. In the RX-7, the fuel pickup was part of the pump assembly. Maybe some baffle got knocked loose. I've never had a problem like that with any of our Miatas, either.

getting at the pump in the miata is pretty easy, just pull up the carpet on the rear deck under the top, remove the metal plate and the gas tank is right there.

I'm a newby on Miata.net and haven't had any problems, other than someone who was rude when I first got on. The rest of the guys took care of that. It would be nice if the Miata was designed like the RX-7, in that there is a service hole in the trunk floor that allows one to get to the fuel pump without removing the tank. I don't remember seeing that in the Miata. As one said, it could be a fuel pickup problem, maybe caused by the wreck. In the RX-7, the fuel pickup was part of the pump assembly. Maybe some baffle got knocked loose. I've never had a problem like that with any of our Miatas, either.

no, there is. Take all the clips off of the front of the carpeting carpeting on the rear package tray. TIP: If you have a zip down plastic window, you can stuff the carpeting and the window THROUGH the top and fold the top down on top of all that to keep everything out of the way so you don't need to pull the carpet all the way out. Then there are access panels for the fuel tank that just un-bolt / screw (don't remember which).

There you go! I love that Mazda engineering! Maybe this would give a good looksee in the tank, etc to see what's really going on, in there.

Back