Skyactive WOT & A/C Performance?

Jamis

:
2003 Protege5, silver
I haven't had a chance to drive one yet, so I'm asking those that have one.

If you accelerate hard from a dead stop with the A/C on in a Skyactiv 3i, does the A/C stop blowing cold air until you let off of the throttle? It does in another brand of compact (the one with a 1.4L Turbo motor).

Also, does it seem to stumble or partially stall if the Skyactive Mazda3i has an automatic transaxle if you leave hard from a stop?

Thanks.

I have the 6-speed manual so I can't speak for the automatic but I haven't noticed the A/C blow warm under wide open throttle. I know some vehicles have WOT cut switches that shut the compressor off so it doesn't rob power under acceleration but I don't believe Mazda uses this.

I haven't noticed it either but, honestly, even if the compressor does temporarily shut off for the sake of fuel economy it isn't as though you'll have instant hot air. You shouldn't notice much of anything unless you're at WOT for an... inappropriate length of time. :p

I haven't noticed it either but, honestly, even if the compressor does temporarily shut off for the sake of fuel economy it isn't as though you'll have instant hot air. You shouldn't notice much of anything unless you're at WOT for an... inappropriate length of time. :p

It appears that the Chevy Cruze ('11s & '12s) do just that when you get into the gas. The HVAC system will actually blow hot air almost immediately. It's like there is coolant water flowing through the heater/AC core all the time and putting the accelerator down shuts off the A/C flow simultaneously. The usual scenario is accelerating down a freeway ramp or passing a slower vehicle. Yeah, it only lasts as long as you are on the gas, but it is still an irritant to me.

Also, does it seem to stumble or partially stall if the Skyactive Mazda3i has an automatic transaxle if you leave hard from a stop?

I just noticed this, this morning, when trying to avoid someone slamming breaks on in front of me. I hit breaks and went to the next lane and it seemed like the car would not go at first, but never came to a complete stop. My only guess is that it did not down shift fast enough to catch back up to me trying to take off again. Only had this car 2 days.

Last edited:
I have driven a Mazda 3 skyactive automatic. I did not notice A/C not working when accelerating hard.

Most cars in the world have a cut off switch for the A/C when you go wide open. This is a somewhat common thing, just a heads up.

The 3 doesn't utilize one best I can tell. When I go wide open I can still feel the compressor engage unlike my Mustang which would disengage the compressor.

I just noticed this, this morning, when trying to avoid someone slamming breaks on in front of me. I hit breaks and went to the next lane and it seemed like the car would not go at first, but never came to a complete stop. My only guess is that it did not down shift fast enough to catch back up to me trying to take off again. Only had this car 2 days.

Standard tranny FTW! :p

I think my wife's 2008 5 with the auto tranny does the same thing.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I just ended up here via Google.

The old 3 (2006 3s 5sp anyway) had a WOT A/C cutoff. My car would blow hot air whenever I stomped on it for more than a second or two.

The new skyactiv 3 does not have this feature. I can't get on the website, but this is the piece you can see on Google:

no.25 a/c is not cut off under wide open throttle conditions
am.mazdaserviceinfo.com/emazda/.../Ma...
2013 - Mazda3 - Engine ... A/C IS NOT CUT OFF UNDER WIDE OPEN THROTTLE CONDITIONS [SKYACTIV-G 2.0] ... A/C compressor magnetic clutch does not disengage under WOT.

**EDIT** Taking another look at that makes me think it could be an error code. I could be wrong and maybe it's supposed to?

Last edited:
**EDIT** Taking another look at that makes me think it could be an error code. I could be wrong and maybe it's supposed to?
I looked at a cached version of that webpage that you found, and you are correct. That is a troubleshooting list for service technicians. A/C should cut off under WOT.

I'm on my second summer with my Skyactiv. Ive used the A/C several times this year, and at no point in the throttle position does the A/C clutch disengage.

Yep. Just as cold as it was prior to going WOT. I can even feel the A/C clutch engage.

Back