SkyActiv v2.0

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
Anyone have any thoughts on SkyActiv v2.0? Not sure where things stand today as many articles were a year or so old but interesting to hear that this engine won't have spark plugs and utilize HCCI with a 30% improvement in economy. It somewhat sounded like a diesel engine that ran on gasoline. This could permanently nix my interest in the diesel CX-5.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/08/mazda-skyactiv-2-engine-hcci/

Last edited:
Next CX-5 to sip less than 5L/100km

"Mazda's second-generation CX-5 will be almost as efficient as Toyota's Prius hybrid if the company meets its target of another 30 per cent reduction"

"As we've reported, Mazda says HCCI could see its next-generation petrol engines deliver hybrid-like fuel consumption and incorporate compression ratios of up to 18.0:1 – up from 14.0:1 in the current range of SKYACTIV-G engines, or 13.0:1 in Australia."

"The current CX-5 diesel already consumes just 5.7L/100km, but Mazda's SKYACTIV II petrol engines are expected to bring greater fuel consumption and CO2 emissions reductions by adopting HCCI.

Given the existing CX-5 consumes 6.4L/100km in entry-level 2WD 2.0-litre petrol form, a 30 per cent fuel-efficiency increase would see it sip just 4.3L/100km – less than 0.5L/100km more than the current efficiency benchmark, Toyota's current Prius (3.9L/100km)."

"Mazda will then repeat the process with its seventh-generation line-up, starting with the MkII CX-5 as early as 2017."

Next CX-5 to sip less than 5L/100km

"Mazda's second-generation CX-5 will be almost as efficient as Toyota's Prius hybrid if the company meets its target of another 30 per cent reduction"

"As we've reported, Mazda says HCCI could see its next-generation petrol engines deliver hybrid-like fuel consumption and incorporate compression ratios of up to 18.0:1 – up from 14.0:1 in the current range of SKYACTIV-G engines, or 13.0:1 in Australia."

"The current CX-5 diesel already consumes just 5.7L/100km, but Mazda's SKYACTIV II petrol engines are expected to bring greater fuel consumption and CO2 emissions reductions by adopting HCCI.

Given the existing CX-5 consumes 6.4L/100km in entry-level 2WD 2.0-litre petrol form, a 30 per cent fuel-efficiency increase would see it sip just 4.3L/100km – less than 0.5L/100km more than the current efficiency benchmark, Toyota's current Prius (3.9L/100km)."

"Mazda will then repeat the process with its seventh-generation line-up, starting with the MkII CX-5 as early as 2017."

I want the diesel because of the tunablility. I mean, stock engine with a tune nets 0-60 in 6 sec in AWD. at least 15% increase in power too. And still great mileage.

I'm with Chris, 0-60 in 6 sec would be fun and would cause a stir especially with the Racing Beat exhaust I heard last year.

Last edited:
Back