SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

This’s my story. I used to change the factory oil early for the reason you described. I changed the factory oil on my 2001.5 VW Passat 2.8L V6 at 1,000 miles, then 5,000 miles with recommended 5W-30 synthetic oil. The engine was fine until 10,000 miles which suddenly started burning a lot of oil, at the rate of 1 quart per 1,000 miles. I was honest telling my VW dealer the oil change history. It ended up VWoA used that as the excuse NOT to fix the severe oil consumption issue. The reason? I changed the factory oil too early, which ruining the piston ring properly seated. Lesson learned. Not going to make any maintenance schedule changes too much away from recommended. Of course I dumped the Passat pretty fast, one of my shortest car owning experience.

That sucks to hear, though I don't know it has relevance to Mazda.
Since then I don’t change factory oil early at 1,000 miles. VWoA might have legit data which I didn’t know. The break-in oil could be legit. By changing the factory oil too early might actually ruining the ring seating. I wouldn’t know, and I’’m not going to change the factory oil too early, including Mazda.

This’s my story. I used to change the factory oil early for the reason you described. I changed the factory oil on my 2001.5 VW Passat 2.8L V6 at 1,000 miles, then 5,000 miles with recommended 5W-30 synthetic oil. The engine was fine until 10,000 miles which suddenly started burning a lot of oil, at the rate of 1 quart per 1,000 miles. I was honest telling my VW dealer the oil change history. It ended up VWoA used that as the excuse NOT to fix the severe oil consumption issue. The reason? I changed the factory oil too early, which ruining the piston ring properly seated. Lesson learned. Not going to make any maintenance schedule changes too much away from recommended. Of course I dumped the Passat pretty fast, one of my shortest car owning experience.
Wow! that was VWoA's lawyers screwing you out of a repair. If you changed the oil 50 miles short of the recommended interval they would have blamed you as well.

Volkswagen also fudged the numbers on their emission tests and were caught. The engines were probably burning a lot of oil from people changing it too soon and they hid it :ROFLMAO:

I don't believe that there is some sort of magic break in oil. Honda had that recommendation to help with the environment. But changing the oil early isn't necessary, and most people don't change the oil early. I admit that I changed mine early, I don't think I ruined my engine, I may have wasted money though.

Last edited:
Volkswagen also fudged the numbers on their emission tests and were caught. The engines were probably burning a lot of oil from people changing it too soon and they hid it :ROFLMAO:
I don't believe that there is some sort of magic break in oil. Honda had that recommendation to help with the environment. But changing the oil early isn't necessary, and most people don't change the oil early. I admit that I changed mine early, I don't think I ruined my engine, I may have wasted money though.
There is no reason whatsoever to believe that changing your oil will ruin your engine. In fact, the opposite is true. By getting the contaminants out and getting fresh oil in there, you prevent wear and prolong engine life. Watch the video above!

Which video? The guy claimed most Toyota owners are screwed because they follow the recommended 10,000-mile oil change interval? ;)
A 10K mile OCI, especially with such thin oil in a modern direct-injected engine, IS silly. It's not the way to go if you want the best wear protection and longevity. Especially if you have a turbo! This is not an opinion.

A 10K mile OCI, especially with such thin oil in a modern direct-injected engine, IS silly. It's not the way to go if you want the best wear protection and longevity. Especially if you have a turbo! This is not an opinion.
There’re millions of Toyota owners prove otherwise.

There’re millions of Toyota owners prove otherwise.
Then I'll sell you at a good price my pre-fuel diluted oil with extra silicon and copper, thinned in viscosity by the heat from my turbo, since it's just as good. You can put it in your car at your next oil change. Deal?

Ok, that's enough back and forth. Presenting an opinion is encouraged, but trying to force it upon someone who doesn't want to hear it is just an exercise in futility.

Agree to disagree and let's move on from this interaction, @yrwei52 and @N7turbo. Thanks!

For me it sounds like there was another reason that was hard to identify or simply a production defect. Any engine has 1000 mile break in interval and it was very common back in the day to change the factory oil early. It would be too bad of a design for a major manufacturer if an early oil change can ruin anything )

In my case for cx-9 oil dilution started around first oil change and it took me a while to stop blaming Castrol Magnatec for that )

I would not change factory oil early these days too though ) Not earlier 3k miles..

160BC210-6168-4F1F-A96A-3B829C0384B1.jpeg

Didn’t bother getting the latest oil change checked because of the oil burning issue…

People are guessing at why maintenance instruction decisions were made. Likely they were by engineering for good reasons. It's possible that external forces like regulations or management override consumer oriented engineering, but I certainly wouldn't assume so.

Safest course is to follow the instructions.

I'm speaking as a mechanical engineer. At a minimum, they've tested and verified that the recommended interval works. Hopefully they've done loss function and margin testing around that as well to demonstrate that what they've instructed is optimal (or close enough that you're wasting time to try and further optimize, especially by seat of the pants guesswork).

Mazda and Toyota are reliable brands with reputation for engines lasting a long time.

Most folks here won't even have their Mazda for 8 years, even many of the ones who intend to. I don't know why I'm posting this.

View attachment 324802
Didn’t bother getting the latest oil change checked because of the oil burning issue…
If you're still within your 5yr/60k powertrain warranty, you may want to keep that oil change interval within Mazda's maintenance schedule to avoid causing yourself an issue in the event of a warranty claim.

If you're still within your 5yr/60k powertrain warranty, you may want to keep that oil change interval within Mazda's maintenance schedule to avoid causing yourself an issue in the event of a warranty claim.

Getting work done on my Mazda for the known oil burning issue on 2021 models this Thursday. I’m at 54K miles …so yeah I made the cut lol

Well that's not what I wanted to see. I'm hoping for a possibility of something other than the head gasket, but am also preparing to do the work (looking at procedures, parts prices and availability etc). Super bummed about this, and we're about to drive the car on our family vacation trip in just a couple weeks.

View attachment 319640
Not sure if anyone picked up on this but why is your calcium level so high? That needs to be 50% lower for DI engines to not risk pre-ignition.

Back