SKYACTIV II with HCCI to debut within weeks

I don' know who else got 46mpg, But I did as well. I have no mods on my car. I drove from Galveston to Houston and drove conservative to see what mileage my car could achieve. By the time I parked my car at home it read 46mpg. One thing different about the CX-5 and my old 626 is, the 626 mileage was very consistent under all conditions. It did not matter about the weather, the fuel blends from summer to winter or the speed.
The CX-5 all conditions pretty much have to be perfect. Winter fuel blends affect my mileage, and speed definitely affects it.

But at least I have always beat the MPG rating for my car. Too bad Mazda does not offer this configuration anymore. The car is not fast, but engine always feels willing and is very fun to drive, and gets great gas milage. I have no desire for a faster car with a bigger engine. I think mazda got this one right for me.

Its funny - because this car was being compared to a Prius V which seems to get mid 40s even on the highway ? Probably being slower to drive and shorter than CX5. But agree - mid 30s in 2013 / 14 was stellar. 2.5 is great for me - though 29 on a tank normally.
One thing the link notes is 60W the DRLs consume, almost as much as high beam. I need to disable and try for a week. :D

So... optimal CX-5 with new SkyActiv X engine as a starting point:

• Torque of 326NM which includes a decent amount of bottom end torque
  • Fuel consumption of Urban 6.65 L/100km, Extra Urban 4.48 L/100km, Combined 5.25 L/100km
  • 0-100km/h in low 6 second bracket
  • Ultra quiet inside
  • Less overall weight
  • More interior room including cargo space

Nice wishlist to have :D

So... optimal CX-5 with new SkyActiv X engine as a starting point:

• Torque of 326NM which includes a decent amount of bottom end torque
  • Fuel consumption of Urban 6.65 L/100km, Extra Urban 4.48 L/100km, Combined 5.25 L/100km
  • 0-100km/h in low 6 second bracket
  • Ultra quiet inside
  • Less overall weight
  • More interior room including cargo space

Nice wishlist to have :D
Not just the torque, power has to be at least 240 hp if they want to drop to the 6 second range, unless the new model loses a lot of weight.

Also need to add Apple Carplay and Android Auto for the diehard fans over here.

Not just the torque, power has to be at least 240 hp if they want to drop to the 6 second range, unless the new model loses a lot of weight.

Also need to add Apple Carplay and Android Auto for the diehard fans over here.
Indeed on both counts [emoji3]

I complain because this engine is intended to increase fuel economy, that's it. If people are looking for fuel economy, the first thing they think about is Honda/Toyota not Mazda. My advice to Mazda:

-Ditch this gimmicky engine technology.
-Use Toyota's hybrid technology for now to help them get thru emissions.
-Work with Toyota and developing a full electric vehicle in the future.
-Start giving your customer some more power and torque in their vehicles NOW. This is an enthusiast company after all is it not? Drop the 2.5T in the CX-5/Mazda3/Mazda6 and call it a day.
-Add remote start to the key fob and ditch this poorly implemented they have now that relies on an outdated app and a monthly fee
-Add CarPlay/AA

These cars would be so much better if they had more power. How is it possible the new Accord has more power than anything in Mazda's entire lineup? Even the hamster mobile Kia Soul has more power. 35k for a fully loaded Mazda6 with 184HP? They're smoking crack.

Is this technology innovative? Sure but will it improve the driving experience? That remains to be seen but judging by these articles there is a heavy emphasis on fuel economy. I just never pictured MPG to be that important to a typical Mazda customer.
If you hate Mazda so much, then please go and spew your hatred on your Honda site.
We don't need or appreciate you here.
Do us all a favor and just go away.(wrong)(ban)

Hopefully Toyota has torque steer well under control with that Camry.... my '02 255HP Maxima could be a handful. After that car it was only AWD for me.....

^^haha just talking about that in my old 06 tl..had for 12mo. Hated tq steer and wasn't even good in snow..1st and probably last fwd...a 3 or 6 prob only 2 id consider currently.

Last edited:
Just my opinion...but if you are going 250HP+ in a FWD car it will be a far better experience if you have some kind of limited slip setup in the front drivetrain as a minimum. It may still lose traction on spirited launches but at least you will move forward instead of sideways. :)

Just my opinion...but if you are going 250HP+ in a FWD car it will be a far better experience if you have some kind of limited slip setup in the front drivetrain as a minimum. It may still lose traction on spirited launches but at least you will move forward instead of sideways. :)

Wouldn't i-Active AWD help when detecting loss of traction and divert to rear wheels (uhm)

I complain because this engine is intended to increase fuel economy, that's it. If people are looking for fuel economy, the first thing they think about is Honda/Toyota not Mazda. My advice to Mazda:

-Ditch this gimmicky engine technology.
-Use Toyota's hybrid technology for now to help them get thru emissions.
-Work with Toyota and developing a full electric vehicle in the future.
-Start giving your customer some more power and torque in their vehicles NOW. This is an enthusiast company after all is it not? Drop the 2.5T in the CX-5/Mazda3/Mazda6 and call it a day.
-Add remote start to the key fob and ditch this poorly implemented they have now that relies on an outdated app and a monthly fee
-Add CarPlay/AA

These cars would be so much better if they had more power. How is it possible the new Accord has more power than anything in Mazda's entire lineup? Even the hamster mobile Kia Soul has more power. 35k for a fully loaded Mazda6 with 184HP? They're smoking crack.

Is this technology innovative? Sure but will it improve the driving experience? That remains to be seen but judging by these articles there is a heavy emphasis on fuel economy. I just never pictured MPG to be that important to a typical Mazda customer.

From what I've gathered in the last few years of being active in the mz community, the "typical" mazda owner is not that of old, but more of the Toyota/Honda customer base. The biggest Mazda fans are all driving Miatas with mods or speed 3's/Rx's. And these are typically much older generation models. HCCI motor from Mazda may end up in a Toyota which gives Mazda more revenue for development.

If you hate Mazda so much, then please go and spew your hatred on your Honda site.
We don't need or appreciate you here.
Do us all a favor and just go away.(wrong)(ban)

Dude that was just pure stupidity and ignorance more then anything else..

Hope in the next few weeks when they release some details, they also provide power figures. Hopefully considerably more than the current 138KW (Mazda 3) to 140KW (CX-5) for the 2.5L

Agreed. My friend has a FWD Acura TL 2012 with about 280hp and man that thing is damn impressive the way it handles. In all honesty it feels more balanced and capable then any AWD car I have ever been in. It has an open diff, but it's better designed then what you see in mazdas.

Hope in the next few weeks when they release some details, they also provide power figures. Hopefully considerably more than the current 138KW (Mazda 3) to 140KW (CX-5) for the 2.5L

They said 20-30% more torque as the compression ignition tech will he emphasized with a supercharger.

I'm very much looking forward to see what the next Mazda 6 will look like. I'm optimistic because all the new cars coming out lately have been absolutely hideous.

You lost me @250+hp in a fwd car...my experience with an lsd on the manual version of the 2006 Acura TL..nope, sucks, wrong, bye

Honda does it just fine.

With that being said, FWD is for 16 year olds learning how to drive. nothing beats RWD.

I do like the Mazda 6 a lot though. No one else delivers such an involving driving experience In a modern car like Mazda does. It really makes up for the fact that the car isn't that fast and only FWD.

I enjoy switching from the Mazda 6 to my 528i just as much as vice-versa.

They said 20-30% more torque as the compression ignition tech will he emphasized with a supercharger.

Yes which means figures of 276-326NM (204-241ft/lb) need all important power (KW/bhp) figures too

I'm very much looking forward to see what the next Mazda 6 will look like. I'm optimistic because all the new cars coming out lately have been absolutely hideous.

We shall see. First things first, new 3 will be getting this engine.

Latest posts

Back