Sis-in-law almost killed by Dodge Nitro

T.Narley

She is an Asst. General Manager at an upscale restaurant and arrived at work today in her 07 Dodge Nitro 4x4. The restaurant is build on a hill with one end of the lot looking up the hill (dirt/grass) and the end looking down on the neighboring Hilton, IIRC the drop is probably 30+ feet down.

Fortunately she pulled into a spot facing the hill (but on the other side of the lot) because as she parked it took off on her. She said the engine "raced" and the brakes "wouldnt stop it". The hill stopped her forward motion and she slammed it into park.

FWIW, shes in her 30s and has never had any driving problems.

I was a little skeptical until I saw the same complaint on YouTube

nitrokill.jpg

Wow! That's amazing. The important thing is she is okay and now should be able to get out of that Chrysler product! ;)

I think the car has too much pressure being a chrysler product and wants to commit suicide!! hahaha

And what does this have to do with Mazda CX-9s??????

This belongs on the Dodge Nitro site.

dude he is just sharing wut happened to his sis in law with us... and ofcourse tryin to show how crappy are american cars xD

I work at national rent-a car as a master tech, those new nitro are notorious for the TIPM (totally intergrated power module)shorting out and causing all kinds of problems. The new chyslers are all garbage, after merging with benz they switched to the fob type keys and the WIN (wireless ignition noids) are going out like crazy and killing the vehicles while driving or at any given time.

I am somewhat skeptical of this issue. Full application of the brakes would not stop the vehicle? So the brakes (a mechanical system) failed at the same instant that the accelerator (could be mechanical or fly by wire) failed? This reminds me of the case that Audi had with their 5000 model back in the 80's. They had many drivers experience "unintended acceleration" and actually ended up paying a bunch of claims but they always asserted that the problem was caused by the European-style, close-together pedals, and drivers flooring it when they swore they were braking. I am glad your sister-in-law wasn't hurt. Just considering all possibilities.

Um, isn't this the 'Lounge' section? This seems to be the correct place.

As to the Audi sudden acceleration, I can verify from first hand experience that it did happen.

Although we would move this thread to the off-topic section in most cases, Admin has agreed to let posts like this stay in the CX-9 lounge section. Because alot of our CX-9 members only come to this section of the forum and don't associate with members outside the CX-9 section. So in short, I feel that CX-9 members should be able to converse with each other on off-topic subjects in the lounge area, especially because this was auto related.

Thank god your sister in law is alright, as for the vehicle, think lemon law if she bought it new.

Well, the whole incident seems to have gone over her head.

The dealer found a problem with the drive-by-wire system, and replaced some parts.

She never made a NHTSA complaint like I told her to, nor did she request comepensation or anything of the like. They didnt even give her a loaner car.

Well, the whole incident seems to have gone over her head.

The dealer found a problem with the drive-by-wire system, and replaced some parts.

She never made a NHTSA complaint like I told her to, nor did she request comepensation or anything of the like. They didnt even give her a loaner car.

ARGH! Why didn't she report it??? They need info like that on record so if a recall needs to happen there's documentation to support it...

ARGH! Why didn't she report it??? They need info like that on record so if a recall needs to happen there's documentation to support it...

Exactly, but all I can do is make the recommendation. We ARE talking about someone who bought a Dodge after all. :)

BTW, as for the comment "why are we talking about Dodge Nitros?. It's a car enthusiasts web site, if we talked about more than just CX-9 specific topics the site would have more activity, which would really help it.

You know, I had an '03 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab for a bit...I actually loved that truck. I got amazing mpg (18-23) and people definitely respected my space on I-75 down here! :p

Back