side motor mount, pushing out the engine pin

Hi,
I was able to remove my side motor mount (after using an engine lift to lift up the engine... there's nothing to jack it up by on the underside, cept the oil pan!), but I cannot push out the cast iron pin that bolts to the motor & goes thru the center of the rubber mount. I tried a break puller, but since the rubber's broken already, it has no hold. Same w/ air-hammer. Any suggestions? I believe my only hope is that it's a cheap dealer part, and I'll just replace it then.

Thx,
Don Cab

I know exactly what you mean. You don't pull that pin out, You REPLACE it as a whole unit.
also no engine lift is required, i just used a block of wood, and a floor jack at the oil pan. Should take only 30 mins.

I know exactly what you mean. You don't pull that pin out, You REPLACE it as a whole unit.
also no engine lift is required, i just used a block of wood, and a floor jack at the oil pan. Should take only 30 mins.

+1 - many of the aftermarket mounts don't come with this piece, but unless you have a press, I would just buy the OEM mount - it comes with the new bracket already pressed in.

Hey, thanks for the replies! Unfortunately, it's too late. I bought the rockauto part (it wasn't listed under P5.. I think it was under a sedan Protege), but it fits fine.

I'll try to locate a press somewhere to get the center pin out...

Thx,
Mike

Job complete! Here's the summary how-to:

So, I was able to jack the engine up from underneath. I used a jack & block of wood. I had the wood contact the rim of the oil pan (where it bolts to the engine). I also used a jack stand & another block of wood at another place where the oil plan bolts to engine as a fail-safe.

Once I had the mount & engine-pin off, I drilled out the rubber (careful, it's full of liquid) portion so that the pin, sleeve, and rubber around the sleeve came apart from the mount metal. Then I used an angle grinder w/ old grinder wheel to cut through the rubber, then through the sleeve. A light chiselling then loosened the pin from the cut sleeve. It inserted into the rockauto mount without requiring any pressing.

Warning: you'll want to do your angle grinding outside. Gridning rubber makes a hell of a smoke.

Job complete! Here's the summary how-to:

So, I was able to jack the engine up from underneath. I used a jack & block of wood. I had the wood contact the rim of the oil pan (where it bolts to the engine). I also used a jack stand & another block of wood at another place where the oil plan bolts to engine as a fail-safe.

Once I had the mount & engine-pin off, I drilled out the rubber (careful, it's full of liquid) portion so that the pin, sleeve, and rubber around the sleeve came apart from the mount metal. Then I used an angle grinder w/ old grinder wheel to cut through the rubber, then through the sleeve. A light chiselling then loosened the pin from the cut sleeve. It inserted into the rockauto mount without requiring any pressing.

Warning: you'll want to do your angle grinding outside. Gridning rubber makes a hell of a smoke.

That's one hell of a way to go about it, kudos to you for taking the effort to do it without a press!

Back