Sick of help threads, time to show off!

So I've been working on the sound system in my 2002 Protg for a while, and at about $700 (Australian) I think it's about time to start showing off. Although I am definitely not finished...

So far I'm running...

-120WRMS 10" sub (Sony Xplod XS-L1030). Which I managed to pick up for $20 off someone who wanted to get rid of it, powered by...

-200WRMS mono-amp (Alpine MRP-M350). A friend wanted to get rid of that for a nice $100. Really sounds nice and when tuned correctly with the sub outputs a real clean kick bass sound (perfect for lamb of god). I’d describe how they both work together as very responsive, clean, punchy and powerful (surprising considering the sub’s only 120W)

-Sony Xplod double-din head-unit (wx-GT78UI). This deck has everything I need; HPF/LPF, aux in, usb/ipod, plays mp3 wma and aac and outputs a really, really nice signal that makes a huge noticeable difference over the stock unit (the importance of a good HU). But most importantly it has three RCA pre-outs, allowing me to run the sub, rear and front off separate channels when amped. This set me back a nice $379, totally not worth it, unless of course you compare it to the average (over)price of car audio. Then it’s worth it.

-Rear 40WRMS 6x9’s (JVC CS-V6935), These speakers handle high range pretty damn well, the low range sounds like poop and until I installed the sub the bass/low range was pretty shocking. But now with high pass filters and the like they work like a charm. I got these ex-display models for $50 (RRP $150)

-About $100 worth of wiring. A 4G aerpro kit split into two 8G wires for one (and soon to be another) amp.

-Custom built sealed sub box, a bit less than $100 in mdf and carpet and a lot more in effort.

That’s all I have for now, in the future I plan to get a four channel amp and am currently leaning towards the Clarion APX-4241 (60WRMS each channel). And of course I need to replace those stock 5x7’s in the front. I still have no idea what to get for that, all I know is that it needs to be splits (component not coax) at 40WRMS. Although I’m having trouble finding the right ones as you can imagine.

Also I have a little addition that is known and loved by all who see it. My aux cable runs from the back of my HU, underneath my gearstick and handbrake right out the centre ash-tray (see pics). My original idea was to have it run up the ‘centre-storage-thing’ but in the end I thought because I don’t smoke that I might as well use the ash-try for something. I did this because I was (and still am) sick of the ugly aux coming from the front of the HU, messing up the gearstick and such. Also if someone in the back has an mp3 player and wants to play a song they can, with ease.

Thanks, Hope you like the pics…(I think you have to log in to see them lol)

It was at night when I took half of these pictures, and anyone who's taken a picture at night knows the results...

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

As you can see the sub box has room for another amp, so when time and money allow, it will be filled.

Last edited:
Back