Showcase your winter set-ups please

Yea I noticed it was rather wide, however it's a used set with maybe two seasons worth of tread left. and it's not a daily driver and may only see occasional snow and usage. Also a smokin deal as the wheels alone are $200.00 apiece new and the tires are $170.00 each new. Wheels are in good shape and I'm able to get them (wheels and tires) as a set for $500.00. Question: If the wheels are 17 by 8 how narrow a tire could I fit on these? The wheels are only 14 lbs. each and I want to use them as track wheels in the spring and summer with as wide a tire as possible, and in the winter when the other ones wear out, as narrow as possible.

Thanks, Gerry

You could do a slight stretch on a 215... why would you want narrow track tires though? You only want narrow tires for the snow so they cut through it and don't tread over it.

IMG_2696.jpg

IMG_2713.jpg

Mazda3 stockers painted black with continental viking snow-tech tires, 205/50/17

Yea I noticed it was rather wide, however it's a used set with maybe two seasons worth of tread left. and it's not a daily driver and may only see occasional snow and usage. Also a smokin deal as the wheels alone are $200.00 apiece new and the tires are $170.00 each new. Wheels are in good shape and I'm able to get them (wheels and tires) as a set for $500.00. Question: If the wheels are 17 by 8 how narrow a tire could I fit on these? The wheels are only 14 lbs. each and I want to use them as track wheels in the spring and summer with as wide a tire as possible, and in the winter when the other ones wear out, as narrow as possible.
Thanks, Gerry

Sask, may want to read this again. I'm looking for a wheel that would serve both needs so I don't have to buy two sets, one for winter and one for track. Tirerack tells me to go no wider than 7.5" with max offset not below 40. I'm torn right now. I want a light track wheel that can also serve as my winter rims. How wide a tire could I fit on a 7.5" rim for track season??

Thanks

geezz texas dont get crap in the winter lol. well south texas atleast my winter tires are a set of nitto nt05 245/40/18s on stock wheels lol

Sask, are you using the OEM wheels as dedicated winter wheels, or are you breaking down and reinstalling the summers on the OEM's? If dedicated, what are your summer wheels?

Dedicated. Don't have 'em yet. I used the stockers with the OEM potenzas and just had the Potenzas pulled off for the X-ices. So I'm putting the potenzas on new wheels in spring.

I bought these last week to replace my steelies. Stripped (best I could) sanded and primed them today. Shooting them with some color tomorrow but still not decided on color. I can run out (15-20 min away) to summit racing and get some bronze or go around the corner and get like gunmetal/graphite (duplicolor wheel paints). Let me know what you guys think would look best I really am undecided will prolly be lazy and go to autozone. I have to paint tom. though because temps are really going to drop after then.
wheels.jpg

Look at the grime on the bottom left wheel god it sucked cleaning and the backs where just as bad on all. I should have had them blasted but Im over buget I was going to just get hubcaps for my steelies lol. I think I got a decent deal though. 180 for the set they are motegi mr8 16 inch think this was decent price. (dunno)

Conti ExtremeWinterContact 205/50R17s on 17x7 Borbet LV5 Anthracite wheels. Since it's still generally above 45 degrees in Maryland, I'm running the OE tires and wheels, so I can't comment on how well these will work.

Patrick.

DSC_0008PSEsmall.jpg

This is the bronze type color I was thinkin of. I have black mica BTW.

I have fail I am a dumbass. I bought these wheels off local mazda 3 guy to replace my winter steelies. They dont clear the front calipers (mazdaspeed3) They are 16x7 42 offset but I guess its how the spokes are designed. I still dont understand my steelies fit and they are 16x6.5 42 offset. I guess I should have put them on but I thought if anything being wider it would be ok . I cleaned them up and primed them really was hoping to use them Im bummed (gah)

DSC00558.jpg

Selling them now :(

Back