Show me your Winter Wheels and tire combos.

With the weather we've been having... I haven't even installed my winter wheels and tires yet. Thought about riding my motorcycle to work this morning, but didn't.

No kidding! I was supposed to get these tire installed just before the snow fall a few weeks back but Costco messed my order up so they have yet to see actual snow let alone freezing temps. I still have my motorcycle out and thought of riding it today or tomorrow if I get the chance. 50-60 degree temps in December in Wisconsin, you would have thought?

I got a set of Blizzak DM-V1s on 17" rims from tire rack. I installed them a few weeks ago right before a snow storm thinking it was the start of winter. Turns out after the storm spring came as its been in the 50s since. Sucks putting wasted miles on them but I wasn't about to change them around again for the stock rims/tires. Anyway they handled the storm great.

First picture is showing stock and snow tires and second is all finished up (hopefully I can figure this out).

My wife's boss called it the bat-mobile of SUVs!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20151119_085217-1280x720.jpg
    20151119_085217-1280x720.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 833
  • 20151119_101217-1280x720.jpg
    20151119_101217-1280x720.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 852
With the weather we've been having... I haven't even installed my winter wheels and tires yet. Thought about riding my motorcycle to work this morning, but didn't.

Yeah... same here. I had originally planned on installing the brand new Blizzak DM-V1s in late November. Then we got hit by sort of a surprise snowstorm on Nov 21st that dumped about 8" of snow. Drove the CX-5 through that on the stock Toyos, and it really wasn't that bad at all. Seemed to handle just fine. So, the snow melted quickly after that and we entered a warm weather pattern. We've been stuck in that warm weather pattern ever since, and have not had any snow since. Now that we're almost to January I'm contemplating leaving the snows off entirely this winter. Figure we're about 1/3rd through the winter already. The stock Toyos may have handled better than I thought they would since they still had low miles (~10K at the time) on them. May have some issues getting through the snow that falls in Jan and Feb, but if I can sneak through that without any issues I will have saved a whole season's worth of wear on the Blizzaks.

The stock Toyos may have handled better than I thought they would since they still had low miles (~10K at the time) on them. May have some issues getting through the snow that falls in Jan and Feb, but if I can sneak through that without any issues I will have saved a whole season's worth of wear on the Blizzaks.

That's not good thinking. Just because your Toyos were adequate in one type of winter condition doesn't mean they will handle all conditions reasonably well. Snow and ice comes in many flavors and some is a cakewalk with all season radials while other conditions will challenge the most capable winter setups. Remember why you purchased a winter setup - to increase your margin of safety in treacherous conditions. Any wear you save on the winter setup will be additional wear on your summer tires.

I keep an eye on the weather 4 or 5 days out and put the winter setup on when the first freezing rain or snow is forecast.

Mazdaspeed 3 18's. Tires are Firestone Winterforce 225/60/18's. I love the look of the wheels, but the 18's are a pain to find a tire that has the right aspect ratio and not cost a lot. I got the tires for $100ea from tirebuyer. This is my first winter set, and I'm exceedingly happy with them so far.

-N65bbutjuOH2tiDxXN1tlexi4r5HkWumSK2FMyaCalFHUOm8t3HH2BdnvtuUzkUeMRYGGlGKIkUhA94hJzI5vVvrMaOMvduTFP9ym3EAFfgm8bdrgSSOYQ03JgEtvEN_ivMSub9v2aV85CP7_8dhJB4yXayCiHFp0Qjzhe9tFXBUsDeYlN2YasbkDQA4DHv5dZJeCPRbRYnHD9SpUkqqxvXi_dV9UCxwuiphDT39vNW3TV29KMCczrqrVxRabQoJ673L4w4qfeip3APcQNc7slH6lFU7lVFCDslvcq41bvwOPNluX0PmSPcUVEWXWQu4Q0O0N1j3hBV6DjDrxkx55cM2pOJPFyt0qCKGaC7l1CYVjMm6IXcmgzTXY47lFm4dtRovPtkb5SGYnfm3oSOC_DkxDsi-x2LTDSMbM4ra_t-NBeimFV5ooY2_u2IjLjk1p3pX4hmGpWo4jxNDvlCid8AOvJuZbxUKC5CtkkaXXi-6nercAtzM3_T0ox7Be_a0g9DiXAQVbrHwZKQy9peiOccyIAPy7sNUpO4Xg0Nqwr1oPZr__dCkwO_JaeSVDbq1vQv=w981-h655-no

Last edited:
I just got this winter setup for my 16 FWD GT this past week. Theyre Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2 tires (225/70R16 ) on MSW Type 85 wheels. About $850 total after a $70 Michelin rebate from Tire Rack.

attachment.php

Fuel mileage is improved by maybe 2 or 3 mpg. A little of this might be the LRR of the Xi2s but the majority is probably the 14 lb reduction per wheel versus the OE 19s (59.5 45.5). Hydroplaning resistance seems excellent. I hit some standing water on a secondary road and the CX-5 just plowed thru it like it wasnt there. If snow performance is as good as wet and dry, Im a happy camper.

Hey, that's great! You've increased your winter fuel range by 25 miles or so just by putting winter tires on. And you will notice a little perkier acceleration also.

I am running Nokian Hakka 7 studded on Fast 17" wheels....love it so far, 4th winter on them this winter (3 on my 2013 cx-5 and it will be my first on the 2016) and still a lot of thread.

P1020284_vi.jpg

P1020282_vi.jpg

Knowing the CX-5 soundproofing is not that great. How loud it is in the cab with the stud?
Currently running Michelin X Ice 2. They are relatively quiet, about 74db at highway speed on bare pavement.

I do not have any tools to measure the sound level and I have been running studded winter tires for the last 10 years (Subaru WRX-Mistu Outlander-CX5 2013 and now a CX5-2016) so for me the sound is normal (on dry asphalt people hear me come, not a bad thing). It is very difficult to judge from my point of view, I know they are louder than non studded tires, but at the same time, technology has improved quite a bit, the Hakka 7 are more quiet than the Hakka 5 I had, and I think the Hakka 8 are even better (my next set probably, unless the 9 are out). They are louder than the summer Toyo A23, the only thing I can say which will probably turn you off from studded tires, is that when I put them on in the fall, I find them loud for a day or two, after that it doesn't bother me. At the end of winter I can appreciate the decrease in sound when I put my summer wheels, I am not denying that. For me it is all a question of do you really want studded or not, if yes you are ready to live with the noise, if noise turn you off, there are enough good studless tires on the market to satisfy your need, but for me nothing beats a studded tire on ice (that is why i live with the noise). One big + of the studded Hakka, they do not wear fast, i am on my 4th winter with them and i am still at 8/32. I think i could do another winter and maybe 2.

Last edited:
For the first time I'm trying out snow tires so let's see. haven't had a chance to test them out as we haven't received any snow but tomorrow is supposed to be a snowstorm so I can tell then. I went with 17's for a beefier sidewall, also went with a slightly narrower tire (215) man all I can say is you truly don't realize how much road noise and vibration the 19's have until you put the 17's. Don't get me wrong I love the look of the 19's but maybe it's the OEM Toyo's/Dunlops that are noisy. I have General Altimax Arctic now on both the CX-5 and the 6 and it's just an overall smooth and quiet ride all around. Let's see the performance of these guys starting tomorrow.

24434106702_4a397b91eb_z.jpg

Latest posts

Back