Should be getting a CX-5 tomorrow! New Mazda owner with a couple questions.

Wow. It's been 2 months? I ordered from two dealers. One eventually won and so I got my deposit back from the other. I waited 8 weeks.

Today its been 2 months to the day since I put a deposit down. At that time they told me 2-3 weeks maybe 4. I'm going over to the dealer at noon today and asking them to rattle some cages over at Mazda Canada. I know it will arrive when it arrives, but I'd really like a better estimate than 'next week, next week, won't be long now" I don't believe that anymore. I sure hope I get it before September at least.

OK talked to the sales manager, the salesman never should have quoted me 3-4 weeks (he blamed it on a rookie error) the official word for when they need to be ordered (very low stock around here) is 6-8 week. He looked something up on a computer and pulled out a printout. Looked like a list of vehicles and VIN numbers and said that it was on the first batch (whatever that meant) on the boat from Japan. He said it was due to arrive in Vancouver here on August 29. He also mentioned that when it arrives, since they are so close to the port, they just send a driver to go get it rather than putting in on a truck. So hopefully the arrival won't change by more than a couple of days.

Does not come with a license plate frame/bracket. The dealer put it on if it's there.

Does not come with a license plate frame/bracket. The dealer put it on if it's there.

None needed to mount a US-sized plate, the area on front bumper is flat and designed to accomodate a standard US plate.

mine did'nt have the bracket either.. I just had 2 holes in the front bumper... weird.. and it's a requirement in maine to have a front plate...

mine did'nt have the bracket either.. I just had 2 holes in the front bumper... weird.. and it's a requirement in maine to have a front plate...

No weirdness, just normal for US plates.

No weirdness, just normal for US plates.

I think he's referring to a lot of vehicles already coming with a front bracket. I know my Mountaineer, Altima and the wife's Civic all had brackets. The CX-5 just has holes on the bumper which throws people off. I highly recommend putting a one adhesive sided weatherstrip foam in the back of your plates/plate frames when attaching to the bumper to not have scratches on the paint. Bought a roll of FrostKing weatherstrip at HomeDepot for about $3 and cut out strips for the front and rear bumpers.

IS350 fr plate area.jpgCX-5 fr plate area.JPG
I think he's referring to a lot of vehicles already coming with a front bracket. I know my Mountaineer, Altima and the wife's Civic all had brackets. The CX-5 just has holes on the bumper which throws people off. I highly recommend putting a one adhesive sided weatherstrip foam in the back of your plates/plate frames when attaching to the bumper to not have scratches on the paint. Bought a roll of FrostKing weatherstrip at HomeDepot for about $3 and cut out strips for the front and rear bumpers.

Yes, I know.

The front plate area on bumper is very flat and purposely designed for mounting a front plate on CX-5 only, making the bracket and extra hardware unnecessary.

Most front bumpers do not have the flat plate mounting area (although they end up looking better with no front plate mounted for that reason).

Edit: Added pictures of both types of bumpers with and without bracket.

ISx50 front bumper is curved and requires a bracket like most cars, and that hardware is shown. The Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineers have brackets because the lower bumper area where the plate is mounted is not flat, I had a 2007 model.

CX-5 has flat area on front bumper for the purpose of mounting standard sized US (all states are same size) front plate. You can see the 2 holes in front bumper, I removed dealer front frame and paper plate, haven't installed my license plates yet.

Last edited:
Tell you what I noticed..... Roof Rails. They don't seem to be available on the UK Spec. That was one of the attractions for me as it makes life easier to clean the roof.

Tell you what I noticed..... Roof Rails. They don't seem to be available on the UK Spec. That was one of the attractions for me as it makes life easier to clean the roof.

Dealer-installed accessory option here in the US. Is it the same in UK (dealer-installed)?

I purposely wanted the clean look of no roof rack.

But for those that need the utility of a roof rack for hauling skis, snow boards, bikes, etc. the roof rails are nicely integrated with CX-5 design, better-looking than most.

Back