Short shifter

MazdaSwede

Contributor
:
2008 Mazda 3 2.3L Black Mica
OK so ive now been online searching for a replaement to my stock shifter kit for about 6 hours now. Can't find anything that will replace the plastic piece of garbage that is in the car right now. I know twm makes the entire kit but not for the 08. anybody have any ideas?

So i just ordered my short shifter from you guys. Better get it here quick!

You WON'T be disappointed.... believe me. After over three yrs with mine, it keeps getting better and better.

Suggestion: Start with the stock shifter knob. Move up one level (I had a Pilot that was slightly heavier, but taller than the OE, but I liked the way it felt in my hand.) Then go to a heavy weight knob (I am currently running the JB 650gm as of a few months ago.)
It's a nice evolution and it will feel progressively better. You will have something to look forward to.

Last edited:
Installation will commence tomorrow afternoon. right after im done with work :).haven't been this excited since my folks told me we were going to disney world about 18 years ago :p

As for the install, hopefully it won't be to much of a PITA, for some reason I always found it hard to get the side linkage on the shifter into the groove...

You WON'T be disappointed.... believe me. After over three yrs with mine, it keeps getting better and better.

Suggestion: Start with the stock shifter knob. Move up one level (I had a Pilot that was slightly heavier, but taller than the OE, but I liked the way it felt in my hand.) Then go to a heavy weight knob (I am currently running the JB 650gm as of a few months ago.)
It's a nice evolution and it will feel progressively better. You will have something to look forward to.

A lot of it is in the user, some people don't like a heavier knob...in theory they "help" shift better, but I have been through so many heavy/light knobs, that the comfort of them far outweighed the weight issues...

They say that if necessary it can be done by yourself, but I was REALLY glad that when I did mine my friend/neighbor showed up to see what it was I was up to when he did. Unless of course you are one of the lucky ones that were born w/three hands.
... Just sayin'.

Scratch, I don't disagree. Except that the Pilot I had was a "universal" and used set screws to clamp it to the shifter shaft, I really did like the way it felt.
But after a couple of years I wanted to try something different, and how would we truly know of we like something if we don't try it first?
Truth is, I like the heavier knob, but the cheapo Pilot was more comfortable overall.

Last edited:
Well ill definetly let you know how the install goes but im VERY confident that its not going to be much of a problem. as for the knob I was going to order one of the heavier ones but i like the way the stock knob looks and feels so we will see how this turns out.

SO I installed my short shifter yesterday along with the new shift boot and so far i LOVE it. I have to say that getting rid of the stock rubber bushings did alot to help. Much easier to throw it into gear because there is NO play whatsoever. As for the install I did everything in about 30 Minutes took my time and went thru the steps and it was probably one of the easiest things ive ever done. ever reassembling the console that you had to tear up was a breeze. The only difficult parts were getting the actuall shifter to "pop" out of the housing (this being the part you need 3 flat head screwdrivers to do) not to mention you really do need a second set of hands to do this. the second part was actually getting the spring back over the lower ball joint but that was solved with a pair of channelocks and a screwdriver. Overall id say that this is an Awesome upgrade for ANYBODY that still hasn't done this. The shifter (including new bushings), new boot, and some grease come out to be about 230$. If you haven't done it I highly recommend it.

Congrats!! 30 mins is what it should take, but I was glad to have a second set of hands for the ball/spring install.
I had tried and failed at least 3 times before my neighbor showed up. After that, it was another 10mins before I had everything reinstalled and the car ready to go again.

Another satisfied customer here I love my TWM SS i drove a buddies car with one and i had to have it i bought it as a gift to myself this past chrismas. I recommend everyone should have one.

The only problem i have is i drive a co. vehicle m-f and on weekends hardly drive my car and for the past 3 1/2 months the cars been on jackstands hopefully all goes well this coming month itll be back on the road so i can enjoy it again along with the other goodies i install.

Last edited:
I would have gone insane if my car had been on jackstands for 3 and a half months. lol. but thats just me.

Oh i am going insane i miss it so much. I had an oil leak and the motor started knocking so i pulled it and little by little i have been collecting parts i want to install all of them once not get it going then install some others later so thats why the long wait. The last piece im waiting on is the pulley set im ordering this week on payday But it will all be over soon and back on the road.

Back