short shifter preferences?

zackmac

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Planning on placing my order for a short shifter today...
I didn't realize how many different makes there were.

Basically they all seem pretty much the same to me, with differences based upon preference.
Just wondering about quality ones you guys have in yours, so far megan racing or TWM has looked the most appetizing to me.

If you could tell me what you and is DURABLE that would be great, thanks!

Last edited:
I have had the TWM short shifter and weighted knob for a year now and I love it. Great feeling nice short shift. Highly recommend!!

I have had the TWM short shifter and weighted knob for a year now and I love it. Great feeling nice short shift. Highly recommend!!

Agreed. Had mine about a year and a half now and am still loving it. Don't think it gets much better.

get the TWM, msp, or kartboy if you can find it. I'd stay away from the others. it's worth it paying for quality parts

Man you guys are crazy for paying that much Mr my brother and finance all have shirt throw shifters made out of the stock shifter

Shorter than any shifter I have yet to see kn here and I can almost guarantee the throws are shorter than any shifter available for these cars

You are crazy for buying anything But TWM.

You have NO Idea do you... Cutting down the stock shifter isn't a "Short Shifter", it's just some Cheap Redneck Modification.

A Short Shifter reduces height, but also reduces the throw by changing the lower part of the ball too..

EDIT: Here is a picture of a Cut Stock vs TWM.. You get what you pay for. (In your case, you paid nothing)

TWM Shifter - (1).JPG

Last edited:
Mine isn't just cut lol.... Ball was heated up and moved up a bit which is what causes the short throw then the stock extention was removed and the rest of the shifter is threaded for a stock msp shift knob

It's not different than what these company's do and charge ridicules prices the ball position is what causes the throws to be shorter and shortening the shifter it's self is what causes the length of it

Mine isn't just cut lol.... Ball was heated up and moved up a bit which is what causes the short throw then the stock extention was removed and the rest of the shifter is threaded for a stock msp shift knob

It's not different than what these company's do and charge ridicules prices the ball position is what causes the throws to be shorter and shortening the shifter it's self is what causes the length of it

Take those shifters and line up the bottoms of them and tell me the difference the twm shifters ball is higher kn the rod.. Exactly what we did to ours no difference in them your paying for a name

And they feel amazing no notchyness or slowness best sts I've felt on any car mazda/protege related and others

You are crazy for buying anything But TWM.

You have NO Idea do you... Cutting down the stock shifter isn't a "Short Shifter", it's just some Cheap Redneck Modification.

A Short Shifter reduces height, but also reduces the throw by changing the lower part of the ball too..

EDIT: Here is a picture of a Cut Stock vs TWM.. You get what you pay for. (In your case, you paid nothing)

View attachment 201191

^ yep...

Throwing the stock shifter the same distance after it has been trimmed down does not feel very good. I tried it on a short drive before installing my TWM...the difference the TWM made is amazing. It is worth every penny, because you feel it every time you drive the car.

Edit: I'd rather pay the money for a quality made shifter that has a guaranteed 50% throw reduction, lifetime warranty, and I know won't fail on me for some reason because I modified it by heating the ball up. If you'd rather do it yourself for free, fine. But you can't think that people are silly for "paying for a name", when the name is known for high quality and performance. It's car stuff, its hardly ever cheap.

Last edited:
I see what your saying completely om just saying there's no difference in heating the ball up move it up a bit and tack welding it into place then removing the extension a d threading it there really isn't a different what so ever it's a rod with a ball on it regardkess of how you look at it

There's absolutely no way mine would ever fail or break

I see what your saying completely om just saying there's no difference in heating the ball up move it up a bit and tack welding it into place then removing the extension a d threading it there really isn't a different what so ever it's a rod with a ball on it regardkess of how you look at it

There's absolutely no way mine would ever fail or break

Ghetto Mods and there is a difference, Look at the Cylindrical bearing at the lower part and the fact that you can simply thread on their shift ball.

It uses a bearing instead of bushings?

It really isn't ghetto whatsoever just being closed minded

I can simply thread on my shift knob as well

TWM is the best you get for your $$ when it comes to short throw shifting don't cut or modify anything that would be like cutting your coil springs 1 inch to lower your car bad idea lol! TWM is your best choice and its worth the extra dollar!

alright well since im on my brothers side with because ive made all three of our short throw shifters. maybe spending 200 for a shifter is reasonable for you guys but thats not my cup of tea. i will post up pictures of my next one i make.

alright well since im on my brothers side with because ive made all three of our short throw shifters. maybe spending 200 for a shifter is reasonable for you guys but thats not my cup of tea. i will post up pictures of my next one i make.

To Everyman his own.. For most guys here they would buy one come on $ 200 for twm shifter versus 400+ welder you need to do this project. But if that what u like to do get your weld on

TWM. Weighted knob. I got both used off kijiji for 100$. 30$ shifter bushings are a must. Single best mod you can do imo.

Haha the choice seems clear to me, thanks everybody!

I was looking and the weighted knobs are pricey! I like the big type R though

If anybody is selling their TWM used, I'll buy it, thanks again

Keep in mind those weighted knob are solid metal and are ice cold in the winter and as hot as a hell when they have the sun on them. I was using an MSP shift knob but got tired of covering it up and went back to the P5 knob.

Last edited:
TWM has a new knob out that supposedly addresses some of those concerns. Here is a link to it, the phantom knob. I think it's a pretty sweet name haha.

I really wish I could try a weighted shift knob locally to see if it is really worth it. 150 dollars is a lot of money for a knob!

Back