Short Shifter Install Notes

walkingchaos

:
2014 CX-5
Hey guys. Installed my B&M Precision Short Shifter with CorkSport bronzoil bushings the other day. Few notes for those of you who are looking to install any short shifter.

1) I would def remove the entire center console, its 6 screws and its quick. I know people say you can do it without removing the console, but trust me its not worth the hassle to not remove it.

2) Dont worry about removing the heat shield under the car . . . you wont be able to. Unless your car lived its entire life in a garage in arizona you wont be able to get those bolts out. All you need to do is pull the heat shield down (bend it) and do the work and then bend it back up. youll prob need to have the heat shield bent a bit down to clear the shifter anyway.

3) Grease the heck out of the cylinder that the shifter drops into. If you dont youll break something on it or yourself.

4) The bolt/pin that goes through the fork into the bottom of the shifter can be tricky to get back in with the fresh bushings. Have someone sit in the car and work the shifter around a bit while you try and get it through (have the car properly blocked and on stands doing this)

5) And the last and most important point. Do NOT over tighten the nut on the bolt/pin at the bottom of the shifter ! I put mine together, dropped the car, and drove away . . . and HATED the shifter. Stiff, slow, hard to get in and out of gear. Today I had the bright idea of checking that nut. Backed it off just about 3/4 - 1 turn and boom, the shifter is fast smooth and amazing. Def dont do what i did and tighten the heck out of it.

Goodluck with your installs guys, hope this helped !

Back