Shop recommendations?

I have the same noise on my 1gen MS3! I just noticed it last month and haven't been able to figure out what it is. It almost sounds like something is loose and just bouncing around in the engine lol. I think I saw a TSB about this issue, but unfortunately it was only to about 70k miles. I'm at 95k so I don't want to pay for a dealer to just look at it if I can figure out the issue myself.

it may be a tsb, but i'm gonna try to push on some parts this afternoon or tomorrow to see if i can narrow it down. if it's the serpentine belt idler pulley, or tensioner, ive read it's not covered under warranty. i have 50k miles. =(

The pulleys are cheap on rock auto. Had to change the tensioner on the ms6 and was really simple to do.

I have the same noise on my 1gen MS3! I just noticed it last month and haven't been able to figure out what it is. It almost sounds like something is loose and just bouncing around in the engine lol. I think I saw a TSB about this issue, but unfortunately it was only to about 70k miles. I'm at 95k so I don't want to pay for a dealer to just look at it if I can figure out the issue myself.

have you looked into it yet? i took the wheel off today to investigate. it sounds like the crankshaft pulley, but not positive.

That might be the issue. I'll have to take a look next weekend when I'm free again.

Certainly can be the issue, I cant get a straight forward idea through the video, I live on the west side of town by 270 N and 70N I can help you examine more if you'd like. An at some point I need to replace my ideler pully, cause this noise comes an goes. let me know!

Thanks! I took another look yesterday and it indeed is the tensioner assembly. As the tension changes, the plate rattles. Anyone known if this so covered under warranty or if I should just replace myself?

Thanks! I took another look yesterday and it indeed is the tensioner assembly. As the tension changes, the plate rattles. Anyone known if this so covered under warranty or if I should just replace myself?

Look into TSB:SB-01-018-11, if I recall correctly. Mazda did a mailer to customer regarding a similar ticking noise....

Glad you found the issue! Hopefully we'll see you guys next week at the B-Dubs Meet in the Mansfield Area, Sunday, corrected: MARCH 24, 2013/

Last edited:
Back